Canon A 40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no idea what the water temperature is like, where you are going. Generally if water temp is about 28-29C and up, fogging is a pretty minimal issue. When water temp drops more to around 26C or lower, I notice the problem a bit more. Beside silica package, another thing that will help is to keep the LCD monitor off when you are not shooting as LCD screen generate quite a bit of heat inside a small housing which will cause the precipitation on the lens which is cooler (when in contact with colder water).

I'm going to the St. Lawrence River's Thousand Islands, meaning the water temp. should be around 22-24C, so most likely, there will be a noticable temp. difference. I'll remember to keep the LCD off.

Thanks

deep_ocean

I am not sure I am interpreting your last correctly. By all means turn off the LCD when NOT shooting but you will get much better photos composed with the LCD screen on.

I was diving in the tropics, with high humidity but had no problem as follows:

Preparation:
Pack camera (in VERY dry housing) with silica gel at least three hours before the dive - preferably the night before.
Set LCD brightness to low
Set auto off to 'on'

Dive:
Cycle the LCD with the 'display' button to turn it on and off as required.
Let the auto off work if you forget

This seemed to work fine, I'm just not sure the S40 has the same control capability.

Anyway, I would suggest trying to use the LCD unless you have real problems.

Yup, got it :D I meant to turn the LCD off while not shooting.
I do have auto-off function, so I will use it.

I think it is a good idea to house the camera in advance, so the silica gels can do their job.

I'm so looking forward to my first UW pics :)

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

One more tip - I used LOTS of air when I first started using a camera - too much rushing around for the 'best shot'. I've slowed it down since then.

Grajan once bubbled...
Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

One more tip - I used LOTS of air when I first started using a camera - too much rushing around for the 'best shot'. I've slowed it down since then.

The best shots are sometimes those that come to you! :D

Dee once bubbled...

The best shots are sometimes those that come to you! :D

Dee is absolutely right. As far as fish goes, trying to chase it will only give you a rear shot. That's why I end up taking a lot more macro stuffs, at least they don't run away so quickly.
My air consumption went down significantly as I now swim very slowly, looking for all the little stuffs and stop around a lot and get separated from my group a lot.
The only time I chase anything was a whale shark but then everyone else was doing exactly the same :D

I’ve got an A-40 - and quite honestly I've never had an issue with condensation or fogging - I've dove from everything from 58 degree water through to Cozumel & Belize - all with no form of silica etc.... I'm actually not quite sure where you could stick them in that housing (it's pretty tight)....

I'm extremely happy with my a-40 - Just picked up a wide angle lens as well as 3:1 macro – hopefully this weekend I’ll get a chance to post some pics – I’d love to compare shots with another Cannon A-40 User….

Well, I'm afraid there won't be too much to compare it with, as I have absolutely no experience with UW photography. Still, I'll post whatever I'll have :rolleyes:

If you want (to comapre) I have some "dry" pics that I took with the A40. I think for the money it is a very decent camera, that allows some manual settings. The one thing I probably lack the most if a the manual focus - sometimes, shooting landscapes, or hard to focus shots, it just takes forever to lock on.

As for the fogging up. I did take some shots in waterfalls. Relatively cold water and a very hot day, I got into 6-5' of water under the falls and was taking some pics of my buddies son. The "lens" of the housing fogged up in 5-10 minutes. I had to get out of the water, dry the housing up, open it, let it dry up in the sun for a few minutes, before I could go back. I didn't have silica packs and I packed the camera in to the housing just 15 minutes before going in, so it did have some humid air in.

deep_ocean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom