Canon A 40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deep_ocean

Reaction score
Greetings abd salutations,

I'm a happy owner of A 40 + UW housing. So far I've used it mostly on surface and the housing was used on a couple of canoe trips, as a just-in-case measure. In two weeks I'm going for vacation to 1000 islands and I'm plannning to dive and take pics UW. My main questions are regarding "best practices". I know there is an issue os moisture captured inside the housing and fogging up the lens once the temp. drops under water. How do I prevent that?

Any other tips are welcome.

Thanks,

deep_ocean

Thanks Grajan,

Will search for those.

Still, if you guys can think of anything (maybe specific to A 40) I'd appreciate it.

deep_ocean

I really love the one (someone else pointed it already) with a snorkler over the crack in the rocks - teh composition, the colors...

Your camera is approximately twice as good as mine (4M vs. 2M), but I guess the general idea is teh same.

The colours. Have you ised any strobe? Or were you able to correct it all in Photoshop? The snorkler shot seems to have captured all the colours correctly.

Thanks again,

deep_ocean

I do not use a strobe and had good success with this internal flash. All correction - if any - was done in PS.

Remember the snorkelling ones were in shallow water!

This shot was taken at about 70' on the Rhone - again with ambient light and color correction:

3383856%3B23232%7Ffp8%3Enu%3D3238%3E3%3C9%3E446%3Ewsnrcg%3D323248%3A6%3C9583nu0mrj

This shot was taken at the same depth using the internal flash (spot the diver?):

3383856%3B23232%7Ffp8%3Enu%3D3238%3E3%3C9%3E446%3Ewsnrcg%3D323248%3A6%3C9597nu0mrj

As for the resolution - I only used medium res due to lack of storage so there should be little difference there.

Again, great pictures!

I really like the divers with the kelp (?) in the background. The blue works so well in it.

Would you have a copy of the same picture before auto-leveling it in PS? I'm just curious how much PS has altered the original balance.

Thanks again,

deep_ocean

I order silica paks from Preserve Smart. It's not that expensive and I especially like the crystals that change color as it gets saturated. The first time I used these, I realized I was replacing the silica paks way too often and throwing them away. A few minutes in a slow oven or microwave will recharge them.

Some folks suggest going to pharmacies, shoe stores, etc. to get the free ones but I always wonder just how much moisture they have already absorbed and if they are doing my very much good.

The small price is worth the piece of mind for me.

Grajan, thanks for the pics. Hpefully in a few weeks I'll have my first UW shots to post.

Dee, thanks for the tip. I'll probably order from them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom