Canon 40D Ikelite flood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any problem with leaving the port extension always connected to the housing and tightening the screws down? I have no interest in using anything but my 8" dome. Would this make my setup more safe or would the O-ring eventually dry out/wear? Or I could always return it and get a better housing since I haven't used in the water yet. My first use of the housing will be cage diving with Great Whites in Guadelupe. I am concerned since everyone says they are prone to pop off in shallow water...

Hi there Wick
Now that I know to visually check the port locks, I have had no problems at all with my Ikelite housing, even in shallow water. Obviously, one has to show some care and common sense, especially if you are in a cage with other divers with limited space.
Good luck
Parso

Hi Everyone
I am kinda new here and after reading several threads there seems to be a concern about the dome port coming loose due to no lock. I have taken on the task of desinging and building a port lock to address these concerns. Well after the 4th design revision and 4 prototype's I think I have a good design that will work with all Ikelite DSLR housings and should be simple to manufacture. It involves a very small modification of the housing that will in no way effect the water tight properties of the housing as long as the regular procedures are followed. I have several process photo's and some instruction that I will place in the DIY forum and post a link here when I have it all together. Just returned from a weekend trip and will get the information posted as soon as possibility. This fix / addition in no way effects the fact that the port is held on two clips and they have to be closed properly as Ikelite instructs. I also wish the port was more secure than it appears to be. I agree that the most dangerous time is from the surface down to 33 feet deep.
Just my $.02
Bill

At this time there's no way of installing additional port locks on our housings.

If there are changes to the port system in the future we will offer an upgrade program to existing housings.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Actualy, I think it would be pretty easy for you to add 2 more port locks. I had my d300 flood with both latches engaged, but had SLIGHT side pressure to the front of the macro port. total loss. I have always had such good customer service from your company, I have never understood why you are so resistant to resoving this issue. Yes I understand that once at depth there is a pressure fit, BUT near the surface (such as when you hand your camera up to the DM and he plops it in a rinse bucket,) THAT is where leaks occur. I know you are trying to keep to your price-point, but this is a design problem I have been waiting over 10 years for you to address. This has been a problem for many of your customers. You have great housings, PLEASE FINALY FIX THIS ISSUE INSTEAD OF DENYING THERE IS A PROBLEM!

Thanks Blibecap - that would be great!

Regarding my 40D housing flood, I did some followup dunk tests without the camera, and the housing was leaking at 5 foot depth. Turned out the two screws on the bottom of the housing that connect the handles had worked themselves loose, and the leak was coming in from there. The lens port probably shouldn't have come off at 50 feet, but we suspect that it came off because the housing had already flooded, and there was no pressure differential left to keep it on. So a word of caution - check the screws on the bottom of the housing and make sure they don't work loose!! After tightening them up, I took it down to 50 feet with no further issues. The only probelm I'm left with is an occasional "error 99", which unfortunately locks up the camera, and the battery has to come out to restart it. Anyone else getting the error 99? Sometimes it comes in as an error 01 as well.

John

John

Last edited:
Hi Everyone
I am kinda new here and after reading several threads there seems to be a concern about the dome port coming loose due to no lock. I have taken on the task of desinging and building a port lock to address these concerns. Well after the 4th design revision and 4 prototype's I think I have a good design that will work with all Ikelite DSLR housings and should be simple to manufacture. It involves a very small modification of the housing that will in no way effect the water tight properties of the housing as long as the regular procedures are followed. I have several process photo's and some instruction that I will place in the DIY forum and post a link here when I have it all together. Just returned from a weekend trip and will get the information posted as soon as possibility. This fix / addition in no way effects the fact that the port is held on two clips and they have to be closed properly as Ikelite instructs. I also wish the port was more secure than it appears to be. I agree that the most dangerous time is from the surface down to 33 feet deep.
Just my $.02
Bill

Well its been a little while since I have posted on this subject so here is a update. Rev 4 works both the A and B versions, worked on rev 5 that lead to rev 6 A&B. Rev 6 keeps the dome port fron turnning as well as secures it to the housing.

I have put a deal of time in on this and was going to do a DYI page but deciede to do something different as it is not as simple as some DYI'ers need. I am in the process of building a web site so take a look and let me know if your interested.

securing the dome port to the housing Ikelite port locks

Bill

Attachments

• DSC_1013.jpg
    DSC_1013.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 9-Item 6A side view.jpg
    9-Item 6A side view.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 69
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/