Canon 40D Ikelite flood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that a large number of floods occur as a result of putting the camera/housing in a tank on the boat and leaving it there for the ride or in the rinse tank and leaving it while gear is cleaned.

Bumping cameras or improperly lifting them out of a tank of water is a flood looking for a place to happen.

I completely agree with not leaving them in a tank of water.

Mine go underwater only when they are attached to my hands. The only other way I get them wet is with a hose or under a shower.

You just can't control accidents by yourself or others.

I would welcome a third latch on the front of an Ikelite housing and look forward to any changes made. I will be one of the first to return my housings to make them more secure. Anything to help make them more secure is welcome.

Jean
I really like Ikelite's products, and I plan to purchase more. The quality and price point can't be beat IMO. Add your customer care and really good service department and I'm sold.

That being said, Ike's port mounting system is the weakest part. And really scares the heck out of me every time I put the thing together. I know as soon as I"m a few feet underwater there is no way that thing will open, but on the boat and getting into the water is rough. I left my camera on the boat this weekend because I would have had to make an entry holding it.

Hearing that Ike is working on a redesign of the port locks is a huge step forward.
Is there any mail list we can get on to be notified when something is available? I would be first in line to send in my housing for a refit, or if you made a kit to purchase that would be even better.

I was actually looking at modifying my own housing. I was looking at making a split ring that would clamp onto the port, then anchor into the existing spots where the slide clips are now.

News of an update would be posted on our website, our Twitter feed, and here on ScubaBoard. Unfortunately at this time we have no mailing list capabilities (but we're working on that for next year too).

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Parso,

Sorry about your difficulties with the housing. Let me tell yoiu of my story. Last year on a dive trip to the Dry Tortugas, a new dive master tried to put my rig (Olymnpus E-510 DSLR) in an Ikelite housing, into the rinse tank after a dive. He bumped the edge of the tank and knocked the dome port off as he was submerging it into the tank - MAJOR FLOOD. Fast forward almost exactly one year. On a dive trip to Panama, after about three days of diving, I completed the first dive of the day and placed the camera rig into the rinse tank for the one hour surface interval. The seas were quite calm and there were only two other cameras in the large rinse tank with mine. Both of them were negatively buoyant, while mine is slightly positive. When I went to retrieve my camera, I noticed a lot of moisture on the interior surface of the dome post. Upon closer inspection, it was REALLY Flooded AGAIN.

Both times, I called and wrote lettes to Ikelite to tell them about what I consider a MAJOR design flaw. I had even contacted them prior to the first flood suggesting aditional latches. I appreciate that Ikelite is trying to change the design, but this is taking WAY too long and is VERY costly to me. Their only help with this was to suggest not leaving the rig in the tank and they reduced the cost of the repair somewhat, even though it was a lot higher this year. I have had very good service from them, but this design is obviously a problem. It need more latches or even better, a screw in dome port with o-ring seals. With the current design, if a latch gives way, there is no chance of it not flooding.

I am very careful with the handling of my equipment and I find this unacceptable.

Sorry about the rant, but this opened up a fresh wound. I have not made a dive with the new (third) system; although, I plan to go to Honduras next month.

Aeolus:

I think you proved my point.

Keep the housings out of the rinse tank!!

I think the housings are fine and work well as designed. I just don't think the housings are designed to be placed in and bumped around in a rinse tank.

I love my Ikelite equipment and their service is the best!!!!

No, my point was that with a reasonable design; this would not be an issue. It would be akin to saying that you do not need seat belts in your car, if you do not have an accident. Normally, the camera is more at risk sitting out somewhere on the dive boat, rather than in the rinse tank, especially on smaller boats.

I will concede that IF there are a large number of cameras in the tank OR the conditions are VERY rough; it would be a good time to move the cameras to a safer area, if available.

Are port locks the same for all Ikelite housings? I just got a housing for my Canon 500d with port extension and 8" dome. Is everyone concerned with the two black clips that hold on the port extension to the body? I also don't hear and noise when I put them into place. Or is mine a newer style that what is being discussed?

Now I haven't put mine through any dives yet and have only played with assembling it, but I don't see how peoples port extentions/domes are falling off so easy? Mine seems to be on securely. The port extension fits into the housing snug and probably doesn't even need the port clips. The clips do look weak though.

And how are the clips popping off? One side fit over the cap and the other is screwed into position.

This is the achilles heal of the Ikelite system and my number one worry every time in the water.

In light of Ikelite's superb reputation for engineering and customer service, I don't see why they don't eliminate this flaw ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom