Canister too large - need solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a last generation Halcyon not too long ago. Huge cannister with LA batteries. I replaced the LA batteries with NiMh and a lot of foam. It now burns almost twice as long and needs a little soft lead to make it neutral.

good points. lead acid batteries are a thing of the past. the NIMH batteries are a lot smaller meaning the canister will have a lot of empty space making it positively buoyant. need to add lead to make it neutral.

i like the idea of cutting down the canister length.

True it is an old post, but new generations of DIYers are always popping up. I prefer to use diverite mls canisters. A local battery chain was making a 12v 10ah battery that fit in the single canister. You could also double the canisters and end up with a 12v 2o+ah pack. I bought a double off this board once and a single from ebay and ended up with 3 perfectly functioning 12v 7ah lights. 2 had 35w heads and one had a 50w head.

I'm thinking of using pvc pipe for the canister, and somehow molding caps out of epoxy resin that I have left over from re-decking a boat. A few things I'm not sure about are; will epoxy resin be too brittle and break? and what do I use for a mold so I can pull it out afterwords?

I would just get Delrin and do it that way, but I don't have a lathe. Any ideas?

I'm thinking of using pvc pipe for the canister, and somehow molding caps out of epoxy resin that I have left over from re-decking a boat. A few things I'm not sure about are; will epoxy resin be too brittle and break? and what do I use for a mold so I can pull it out afterwords?

I would just get Delrin and do it that way, but I don't have a lathe. Any ideas?

Use a glue on end cap for the base and a screw on end cap for the lid. I did this with a can light and it lasted 4 years or so ( only just sold it). Its a very cheap and easy DIY cannister.

Wasp - i am sure this has been done but i am not sure of the result...

a better way would be to make the shape out of existing PVC plumbing bits and fill the air spaces with epoxy....something like this:

Dive light - Budgie's Torch

That's about exactly what I was thinking of doing. Not too sure about the metal washer part though. I don't know how you would get that piece perfect.

Also, the resin I have is not technically a casting resin. It's more used for doing fiberglass than it is to be used as a big chunk. I wonder if it would still work or if there is a big difference. I noticed his was white, and this stuff is like transparent brownish color. Not sure if it will drill well without cracking like acrylic. I'll have to do a test piece I guess.

Packhorse: I was thinking of doing the screw on lid, and I might just to get things rolling, but it's not the ultimate design I'm going for. I like the latch down lid.

If you haven't already been there groups.msn.com/Divelight....Welcome to Windows Live[/url] offers plenty of advice for canister design.

Yes, all of us we are users of the group of Yahoo manufacturers of lanterns. It is the better thing that I have seen.

Look at it your same.
Regards

Back
Top Bottom