Canister too large - need solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

selytch

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently bought (on eBay) a canister light. American Underwater Lightning & Equip, now out of business. It looked OK on the picture but when I got the light... It's huge. The canister is more than 1' long and 5" wide. And it weights (with a LA battery, what should I expect) about 20#.
The head is good, halogen 50W, I think I'll be able to put a WA ballast + HID lamp in it.
All the cords/switches work fine too. Battery hold great charge.
1. Should I just get a smaller canister (DIY/buy something similar), put NiMH battery pack and enjoy my HID light or just toss it away and buy a new light ?
2. Is it possible at all to dive with this monster and how is it done?
3. Any other good uses?

Thank ya all.
HPIM2712.JPG

selytch:
If you have a BP/W then you just put it on the waist strap. Easy peasy. It doubles as a weight belt too.

If you don't have a BP/W...sell it.

I have BP&W. but this thing hanging on my wastestrap looks VERY not hydrodynamic :(. And I may need to use a larger wing (not my 32#..)

selytch:
I have BP&W. but this thing hanging on my wastestrap looks VERY not hydrodynamic :(. And I may need to use a larger wing (not my 32#..)
Thats the problem of trying to solve underwater issues, on the surface. It will not produce any drag, and it will not interfere with any wing.

selytch:
thanks, will try this weekend. I thought it should go somewhere on the backplate, attached to tank.
Rightside Waistband. Bring an extra belt buckle to hold the light in place while putting on/off the rig.

selytch:
I recently bought (on eBay) a canister light. American Underwater Lightning & Equip, now out of business. It looked OK on the picture but when I got the light... It's huge. The canister is more than 1' long and 5" wide. And it weights (with a LA battery, what should I expect) about 20#.
The head is good, halogen 50W, I think I'll be able to put a WA ballast + HID lamp in it.
All the cords/switches work fine too. Battery hold great charge.
1. Should I just get a smaller canister (DIY/buy something similar), put NiMH battery pack and enjoy my HID light or just toss it away and buy a new light ?
3. Any other good uses?

Thank ya all.

AARRRGGGG!!! A large MANLY light.... :pirate1:

LOL

Well.... these lights were pretty common in the pre-HID era. They used to form part of your ditchable weight system and doubled as a wheel block for semi-tractor-trailers parked on steep hills..... :)

In the last 5 years or so HID technology has made 4+ hour burn times possible without the need to take the whole kitchen sink with you....

But ok.....

Having said that, since you have a BP/wing combo you're going to be ok. You need to thread it on to your right side waste band and then use something to make sure it doesn't slip off. A common solution is to use a loose weight belt buckle (DIR style) but you can also use a rigid welded D ring as well. The advantage of the DIR way is that it's ditchable, the advantage of the other way is it will stay where you put it.

Under water it's not nearly as enormous and unwieldy as it seems in your living room. You should count on it being about 1-2kg negative on that side, which means you should need to remove 1-2kg on the other side if you aren't carrying stages....

R..

I'll defer to Jeff's considerable experience on the best way to mount something that size.

For what it's worth I mount my canister on the right waistband as well, but having said that, my canister is about 2.5" diameter and 9.5" long.

Personally I'd consider building something smaller. If you are DIY inclined, you could reuse the lighthead and build a new canister.

If you can cope with changing out the batteries then a 5 Amp Hour NiMH pack + charger can be had for about $75 at www.batteryspace.com

If you haven't already been there http://groups.msn.com/Divelight/_whatsnew.msnw offers plenty of advice for canister design.

Good luck

I had the same thing, Bought a AUL off Ebay also, and the freaking canister was hugh!!

Chopped the canister in half, and moved the clips down, thats all I did, had no problems. The lid is routed out, but the top of the canister was flat, so I just chopped it with a chop saw with a fine tooth blad!

I had the same thing, Bought a AUL off Ebay also, and the freaking canister was hugh!!

Chopped the canister in half, and moved the clips down, thats all I did, had no problems. The lid is routed out, but the top of the canister was flat, so I just chopped it with a chop saw with a fine tooth blad!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom