Canister Lights and Picture Taking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation:
If you have the means, why get just a 10?

I mean, I prefer the 10 when lobstering. But for everything else, I bring the 21. In fact, on most dives and dive trips I also bring my 18 for my buddy.

If we're diving off of Catalina, in what is often gin-clear water, the 10 is a pretty poor signaling device.

Last night at Vets, I could barely see Claudette and she was diving my 18.... the viz was so poor and there was so much yuck in the water. If she was diving a 10, we'd have to be kicking each other to see her.

If the 10 is in your future, you will love it. LOVE IT. A can light changes the way you dive forever. They're essential safety equipment. Starting with a 10 can make good sense, too - just upgrade your way to a flamethrower over time. Just cuz you dive a 21 doesn't mean you're zotting defenseless creatures down there. You develop good light etiquette as you learn.

I started with a Light Cannon in 2003, eBayed it and moved to 10w Halcyon, eBayed it and moved to 18w Halcyon, eBayed it and moved to 21 watt Salvo. Got a 10W Sartek as my first Buddy Light, eBayed it and moved to an 18W Halcyon. W/A bulb broke :( Changed it out to a 18w BrightStar Bulb and there it is.

Can Lights rule. After my Drysuit, I have more money in my can light than any other piece of kit. They're that important.
Thanks for the post, Ken. I had been wrestling with going with a 21w or a 10w light, after my initial instinct to go for the 21w, but now my mind is at ease with the decision. :)

ChickOfTheSea:
Thanks Guys! :D I feel a lot better now about the light :)
Jen, are you getting a can light? Which ones are you looking at? Do you know about Headhunter's current efforts? Drop me a line. :)

Back
Top Bottom