Canister Lights and Picture Taking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChickOfTheSea:
Hey Guys!

Are there any underwater photographers out there own and use a canister light when taking pictures? Just wondering if this poses any problems or if you have any techniques you can share on trying to hold the camera while taking pictures without blowing out the subject with your light....

Thanks!
Jen

Hi Jen,

Curt Bowen (Advanced Diver Magazine) has used his can lights very effectively to light his photos. He uses two video reflector heads in place of two strobes and actually attaches them to his strobe arms. I suspect he also adjusts his white balance to the color temperature of the lights, but thats only speculation.

A video reflector with a focusable head that allows you to really spread out the beam of the light will work for some wide angle photography, but I'm not sure about macro.

Check out Curt's portfolio.

Thanks Ken -- and NO thanks TSandM!!!!

This will obviously take practice on my part but I'm glad to read how you all have adapted. I had been thinking about changing my strobe to the right side (I just have one strobe) but that would interfere with my right hand/donating hand.

When people talk about dropping the light -- do you, in fact, just drop it and let it dangle from the battery compartment? I did that during a drill and was soundly scolded for dropping the light (I can't remember what was going on but all of a sudden a blue hand of death did something to me or my buddy and I decided the light was too much trouble so droping it to the end of its cord made sense at the time).

boydski:
Hi Jen,

Curt Bowen (Advanced Diver Magazine) has used his can lights very effectively to light his photos. He uses two video reflector heads in place of two strobes and actually attaches them to his strobe arms. I suspect he also adjusts his white balance to the color temperature of the lights, but thats only speculation.

A video reflector with a focusable head that allows you to really spread out the beam of the light will work for some wide angle photography, but I'm not sure about macro.

Check out Curt's portfolio.

No way you creep up onto a critter and get a good shot with hot lights blazing. Even with Nudis, the best shots are the first shot of the set - before the gill rings pull in, before they retreat back onto their foot, pull down their rhinophores, etc.

I'm thinking going in like a 747 isn't gonna achieve the stealth element the best shots require...

WA? No biggie. Coral and rocks don't move much.

---
Ken

Peter Guy:
Thanks Ken -- and NO thanks TSandM!!!!

This will obviously take practice on my part but I'm glad to read how you all have adapted. I had been thinking about changing my strobe to the right side (I just have one strobe) but that would interfere with my right hand/donating hand.

When people talk about dropping the light -- do you, in fact, just drop it and let it dangle from the battery compartment? I did that during a drill and was soundly scolded for dropping the light (I can't remember what was going on but all of a sudden a blue hand of death did something to me or my buddy and I decided the light was too much trouble so droping it to the end of its cord made sense at the time).

When I only had one strobe, I kept it on the right so I could hold the light without all that hoopla in the way.

But then again, I have a two-handle tray. I just moved it from side to side depending on the critter and the shot I wanted. I was shooting with one strobe for several weeks this summer while one was in the shop.

By dropping the light, I mean dropping the light. Its rare, and its only for the duration of the composition and shot (what.... maybe 10 - 20 seconds) but I will if I'm not in a place to turn it off or clip it off (bracing against a rock, needed to move quickly, will re-strike in moments, etc.)

Its not the best practice, and I don't move on until I pick it back up or clip it off, but there are occasions when I drop it.

And around the neck (right to left) makes the perfect reading light for writing wetnotes at night.

So call out the light police... I'm guilty.

But I get the shot. AND my light is rarely turned off during a dive.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
About the best Can Lighter photographer I've seen is Phil (MaxBottomTime) On purpose and on accident, he's grabbed several shots that are lit in a spooky and cool way. Last I checked, he was shooting a P&S with no external strobe(s).
I got a new camera (Fujifilm E900) a few months ago and haven't had to use my HID with it. I got a few decent shots with my old Sanyo V5 using my HID. I would have to hold my light in my left hand far enough away from my subject so I wouldn't blow it out, use my right hand to press the shutter and my legs to try to keep as motionless as possible. Animals in the sand are easy. If I had to hover just over a rock it became difficult. My favorite shot using my HID is this Hermissenda crassicornis nudibranch.
Hermissenda1.jpg

calypsonick:
Having my light on my hand and not on my tray or strobes also allows me to hold it out and away from the camera during those night dives when the worms attack the light. Model lights tend to attract the critters to come right between the subject and the camera.

Good luck with the research.

Nick

I hear you on this one Nick! Those worms can really get to you! Especially when tryingh to get a good shot! Thank you for your advice :)

Jen

Oooo so another related question... what size bulb do you guys use? I was thinking of getting the more tame 10w as I don't dive in caves or muck ( well unless you consider La Jolla Shores muck ) as much and I don't want to scare the critters.....

I dive with a DR 21w focusable light. At first I just pointed it away (because I usually dive it with a tight beam), goodman handle in left hand and camera in right. I to am a diver-photog rather than photog-diver (and I´m afraid it shows)...

Anywho, I´ve started unfocusing the light even for macro shots, to light up everything "evenly". I don´t have a strobe and in lowviz the internal flash turns everything into a snowstorm, this is how I cope. It doesen´t brighten things that much (because the lightbeam is unfocused) but I´ve noticed an improvement in the colours I get after photoshopping afterwards, compared to "no light/strobe"...For me it was one way to motivate getting the 21w hid rather than a 10w and specially in caves and wrecks, I´m really glad I did...
This is one example from my recent trip to subic:
DSC02760copyMedium.jpg

ymmv...

ChickOfTheSea:
Oooo so another related question... what size bulb do you guys use? I was thinking of getting the more tame 10w as I don't dive in caves or muck ( well unless you consider La Jolla Shores muck ) as much and I don't want to scare the critters.....

If you have the means, why get just a 10?

I mean, I prefer the 10 when lobstering. But for everything else, I bring the 21. In fact, on most dives and dive trips I also bring my 18 for my buddy.

If we're diving off of Catalina, in what is often gin-clear water, the 10 is a pretty poor signaling device.

Last night at Vets, I could barely see Claudette and she was diving my 18.... the viz was so poor and there was so much yuck in the water. If she was diving a 10, we'd have to be kicking each other to see her.

If the 10 is in your future, you will love it. LOVE IT. A can light changes the way you dive forever. They're essential safety equipment. Starting with a 10 can make good sense, too - just upgrade your way to a flamethrower over time. Just cuz you dive a 21 doesn't mean you're zotting defenseless creatures down there. You develop good light etiquette as you learn.

I started with a Light Cannon in 2003, eBayed it and moved to 10w Halcyon, eBayed it and moved to 18w Halcyon, eBayed it and moved to 21 watt Salvo. Got a 10W Sartek as my first Buddy Light, eBayed it and moved to an 18W Halcyon. W/A bulb broke :( Changed it out to a 18w BrightStar Bulb and there it is.

Can Lights rule. After my Drysuit, I have more money in my can light than any other piece of kit. They're that important.

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom