Canister Light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:
Dan, do you have a wet connector (IIRC) on your light? What is the advantage to have this?
I don't, but my buddy does. He uses it to swap his canister between his normal light vs his video lights.

hoosier:
Dan, do you have a wet connector (IIRC) on your light? What is the advantage to have this?

Wet connectors are great if you shoot video. Most video lights are mounted onto the video housing. Having a wet connector lets you jump in the water, have your video housing handed down to you, and then you connect the battery to the light.

mmadiver:
Would anyone mind explaining exactly what a Canister light is? Benefits over your standard pistol style dive light?

Webpages with pictures are always welcome...

Thanks!

There have been several posts on just what a canister light is. But since they are very expensive the real question is: "Is a canister light worth the cost?"

The answer is: "It depends". If you are what I call a Vacation Diver, that is a diver who only dives maybe one or two weeks a year a canister light probably isn't worth the cost.

On the other hand if you are a frequent diver who knocks off many dives a year, say at least 50, then a canister light is probably worth the cost.

For me the canister is well worth the price. I selected DiveRite mainly because I wanted to use that expensive toy both diving and under water. DiveRite stood alone among canister light manufacturers to warrant the light in both regimes.

But, if you have the money to spend the amount of use is irrelevant.

ArcticDiver:
....I wanted to use that expensive toy both diving and under water. DiveRite stood alone among canister light manufacturers to warrant the light in both regimes.QUOTE]

What ????

If you are considering wet connectors I would try to avoid them unless I really needed them. They are nice to be able to switch out heads from 10 watt to whatever, but if you don't need them I would stay away from them. I the long run for the average diver they are probably going to be higher maintenance and may cause some eventual problems.

Brent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom