Canister Light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_ca:

Wait till someone put's their goodman on the wrong hand then pull an OOA drill on them and watch then try to burn your eyes out
:lol:

edit: spelling

That's still not as bad as the ones who wear the helmets w/ the lights attached, and then blind you every time they look at you. We did a night charter in WPB Florida, and the boat DM had one of those silly alien helmets. After the second time he blinded us, the 3 of us pointed our 10 and 18W HID's at him, and he never did it afterwards!

Vie:
This is a generally accurate description. Otoh, there are a few manufacturers that still employ non-tubular battery containers or "canister-less" designs.

http://www.niteriderdive.com/\.

Have you ever used the Niteriderdive light? I know this is a popular light in some regions. So~~~

hoosier:
Have you ever used the Niteriderdive light? I know this is a popular light in some regions. So~~~

I think TSandM have/had one? Maybe she can give us some feedback?

The Nite Riders are super expensive here in Thailand, so although I have examined a few I have never dived with one...

hoosier:
I own one ...

Advantages ...

* The battery pack is quite small and rectangular, so you can put it in a BCD pocket if you desire ... or clip it off in places you would not be able to do with a traditional canister mount.

* Very compact light head ... more so than just about any other HID light on the market.

* Very robust design ... there's a reason commercial divers choose this light.

Disadvantages ...

* It has a very broad beam, which makes light signaling difficult. Also, because the beam is so spread out, it doesn't penetrate murky water well.

Some things that could be an advantage or disadvantage ... depending on your viewpoint ...

* The lighthead separates from the canister using wet connectors in the light cord.

* The cord is very long, which is good if you're using a non-traditional mounting method, but is a PITA if you're clipping the light onto your waist belt.

* The clip is open-ended on the bottom, which tend to make the light slip off if you use a standard waist belt mounting method (you can easily DIY something to prevent this from happening, however.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Which is an option on some can lights as well, so you might consider that a wash when comparing lights. Or did I read this wrong and the NR does not offer this?

NWGratefulDiver:
Some things that could be an advantage or disadvantage ... depending on your viewpoint ...

* The lighthead separates from the canister using wet connectors in the light cord.

Dan Gibson:
Which is an option on some can lights as well, so you might consider that a wash when comparing lights. Or did I read this wrong and the NR does not offer this?
Nope ... I've used and own can lights from several different manufacturers, and the only one I've seen using wet connectors is NiteRider. If other can light manufacturers are doing it, I'm not aware of their products.

The above comments were intended solely as my attempt to answer the question posed by a previous poster. I have no wish to get into a "contest" about who has the best light.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I like my light, but everything NW Grateful Diver said is spot on. For signalling, a more focused lighthead is better. The clip on the battery is a plus/minus -- it was really nice for use on my original BC, where sliding a light onto the waist strap wasn't an option. But I have lost the battery on more than one occasion, and have finally done what somebody suggested to me here on Scubaboard, and put a hose clamp around the bottom of the clip.

I do love the tiny lighthead.

I have had problems with the long cord -- one rather nasty one, where the cord fouled on my inflator and I couldn't vent my BC. I've come up with two different ways to solve that, and neither one is wholly satisfactory (but either would be if you aren't diving a long hose).

My experience with customer support is excellent. My battery quit (turned out it had flooded, although I'm still confused about that) and it was shipped down to NiteRider last week, leaving our LDS on Wednesday. It was back in the mail on Tuesday, and I should get it today. I think that's pretty prompt, considering the weekend in the middle.

All in all, I'm not sorry I bought it, and it was definitely the best choice of light for the gear I had at the time. It will almost certainly not be my last light, but don't tell my husband that.

You can get them by special order IIRC for Halcyon lights, so there is more than one brand of light using them. That is why I mentioned this feature could be considered a wash when comparing brands.

NWGratefulDiver:
Nope ... I've used and own can lights from several different manufacturers, and the only one I've seen using wet connectors is NiteRider. If other can light manufacturers are doing it, I'm not aware of their products.

The above comments were intended solely as my attempt to answer the question posed by a previous poster. I have no wish to get into a "contest" about who has the best light.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Dan Gibson:
You can get them by special order IIRC for Halcyon lights, so there is more than one brand of light using them. That is why I mentioned this feature could be considered a wash when comparing brands.

Dan, do you have a wet connector (IIRC) on your light? What is the advantage to have this?

Bob and TsandM, Thanks for your inputs... It helped a lot to get some idea.
One of my friends asked to get the Nite Rider light once. So~~~

Dan Gibson:
But I wasn't comparing brands ... I was answering a question about one specific brand.

The reason I said it could be an advantage or disadvantage would apply regardless of brand ... if you are changing out batteries underwater, it's an advantage (that's the reason they come standard on the NiteRider lights, which were initially designed for commercial divers). If you are not changing out batteries underwater, there is no reason to have them, and therefore having an extra potential failure point in the light is a disadvantage.

My comments were not intended as a basis for brand comparison ... they were intended to show the potential pro's and con's of a specific light.

He didn't ask about Halcyon. But for comparison purposes, to get them on the Halcyon light you have to special-order them ... which means you have a specific reason for wanting them. Wet connectors come standard on all NiteRider lights ... whether you want them or not. Which is why I brought it up.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom