Canister light entanglement hazard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't remember which canister you have? My Nite Rider used to do this (and in fact, caused an uncontrolled ascent early in my career) but the cord is both extremely long and somewhat floaty. I have not had the same problem with the Salvo lights we have. I did have the cord shortened on my personal light, but that was mainly to avoid having a loop that would catch on stalagmites in the caves.

Well, you're about my size . . . if you are having problems with excess length, it's not expensive to send the light back to LM and have them shorten it. Or, if you rarely do a temporary clip on the light, route the light cord under the long hose.

I am new to canister light, and haven't had this problem yet. I have developed a practice that when I need to operate my BC, inflator or dump, I will take the light head with my right first. By doing this, my light beam won't move around too quickly. So far, it has worked well for me. But then I don't have any stage bottles or other equipment to handle.

Try moving the light cord on the left side rather the right of your hand. Also, how do you grab the inflator? How long is your inflator?

I am new to canister light, and haven't had this problem yet. I have developed a practice that when I need to operate my BC, inflator or dump, I will take the light head with my right first. By doing this, my light beam won't move around too quickly. So far, it has worked well for me. But then I don't have any stage bottles or other equipment to handle.

It may work in certain situations but when I hold the camera with my right hand it does not seem to be an easy option.

Try moving the light cord on the left side rather the right of your hand. Also, how do you grab the inflator? How long is your inflator?

I keep battling the cord to keep it on my left side. My inflator is more than 12 inches long. I tried to use the short one but I did not like it. I would rather shorten the cord if I have to.

I have a Light Monkey and I fasten the canister with the battery on the right side of my harness and then hold the light bulb on the top of my left hand with a strap.

Ok got it now........your right hand is tied up with a camera.....well my suggestion is mount your can on the left side also, bringing the cord to the outside of your hand/wrist.

Back
Top Bottom