Canister light and right hip d ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Years ago when I was learning to cave dive I was told the reason people have a right side waist d-ring is because they need a spot to hang their stupid (not my quote). No need for bottles on the righ. Especially in back mount. Not only do you know have to figure out where to put your light, but you have a greater risk of entrapping your long hose. So the better answer is just keep them on the left.

There’s no need for a d ring on the right. Stages/deco bottles go on left. Reels and lift bags go on the butt d ring.

Stuff on the right interferes with the long hose.
Some of us dive chest mounted rebreathers. We need a D-ring on the right side to clip the rebreather.

Some of us dive chest mounted rebreathers. We need a D-ring on the right side to clip the rebreather.
I could definitely see that as a rare reason to have a right sided d ring. But there are quite a number of people I know diving the dr choptima and don’t add a right dring

there are quite a number of people I know diving the dr choptima and don’t add a right dring
Interesting... A 3-point attachment then? Left ring only, some kind of V to the crotch ring, or something else?

Leave the right D-ring in place. Slide the canister in along the belt and do up the buckle. The buckle should be closer to the right. If you have a long canister, simply attach it to the side of your backplate with bungees. Canister cable is different for sidemount.

I have a fixed d-ring all the way back on the right (next to the plate) with a looped bungee attached on it. I slide the cannister to the d-ring and put the bungee around the battery.
Almost never use the d-ring, but it is there in case I need an attachment (temporary or not).

I'm not nearly as experienced as some of the other people in this thread, but I like having the right hip D-ring for staging. It is never used for any permanent storage.

For example, when I get ready on the ship, I put my primary reel on the right hip D-ring, then during descent I'll move it to my butt D-ring. All bottles on the left and everything else goes into pockets.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom