Canister light and right hip d ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alanchang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello guys, for those who regularly use a canister light and two or more stage/deco bottles, how do you usually attach your canister light with a D ring on both sides of the hip harness? Do you always remove the right d ring, install the canister light and then put it back on? I can not slide my canister light in if I have a d ring on my right hip harness. But it's too much work to remove the d ring, install the canister light and re-install the d ring every time. I've seen products in the pictures before, but they're very rear. Please let me know how you guys address this issue. Thanks.
1664911456121.png

I just easily remove the buckle with a D ring that a local High Springs shop welded on during my cave class in 2005. (I keep it on my right side of my harness belt. I also include my extra mask and pouch.) I don't recall seeing them premade like that in shops back then. But my instructor knew a place that did it quickly, easily and cheaply! I still use this buckle today, although I rarely use stage bottles these days, but I've used this configuration with one and/or two stages and a AL40 deco bottle.

The assumption here is that you're going to carry stage/deco bottles on the right side.

The assumption here is that you're going to carry stage/deco bottles on the right side.
Right. A lot of people put both bottles on the left, leaving the right free for sliding on a canister light, shears, etc.

I use a quick-release mount on the canister. Basically the bottom hose clamp is replaced with bungee, which you stretch over the bottom of the canister to attach it to your waist strap.

Works well enough, and is easier than rethreading the doing every time. YMMV.

Jim

Attachments

• dr-lt6090_3.jpg
    dr-lt6090_3.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 98
D-ring on the right hip, on the waist webbing. I put a reel on it (butt d-ring is for both of my SMBs, one in a tail pouch, one in a backplate pocket). Don't want a reel back there.

Canister slides on the waist webbing in front of that D-ring. Then you just put a steel quick release buckle on the webbing, snugging it up against the canister. You don't thread it like the buckle on the left webbing, you just slide the webbing through it. When you want to take the canister off, you just open the buckle and slide it off.

Works great.

I cheat by putting a d-ring far back on the right. I can put the can light on without having to remove the d-ring. Then I put a small safety spool of last resort on it. Doesn’t interfere with the long hose at all. It was something my cave instructor taught so you always have an emergency spool to do a line search.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom