Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, Lucca
Yes, you are right, but this project I looking mostly maximum lumens, these are needed in Finland dark lakes.
However light head weight is 460gr underwater. If I make some day second generation I will take ~10% weight off.

Thank you for your link to your Dive lighting library, it is very informative!! I would have saved a lot of my time if I had found this two month ago

Hi, Lucca
Yes, you are right, but this project I looking mostly maximum lumens, these are needed in Finland dark lakes.
However light head weight is 460gr underwater. If I make some day second generation I will take ~10% weight off.

Thank you for your link to your Dive lighting library, it is very informative!! I would have saved a lot of my time if I had found this two month ago

Lovely project. Wish I had the flair of working with electrical toys like you do.

Quick question since I reside in Singapore, were most of your products sourced from TB or were they custom-made by your friends?

Shaun

Hi, Shaun

I live in Beijing (last 14 years) because part of my work has had mechanical and electric component sourcing, that’s why I have here nice and well quality audited supplier network, where I can buy this type custom made parts. I have also some manual lathe and milling machine available. Many times I machine the first prototype by myself.

Almost all electronics parts I’m ordered from Farnell, even though price is ten times higher than from local market, but no need to worry about fake components.

R2

full

full

Hi, Shaun

I live in Beijing (last 14 years) because part of my work has had mechanical and electric component sourcing, that’s why I have here nice and well quality audited supplier network, where I can buy this type custom made parts. I have also some manual lathe and milling machine available. Many times I machine the first prototype by myself.

Almost all electronics parts I’m ordered from Farnell, even though price is ten times higher than from local market, but no need to worry about fake components.

R2

Thanks for getting back! It sure comes in handy to have the right contacts, the right tools, the right knowledge, and most importantly passion. Love what you're doing. I will stick around to keep myself abreast of your updates :)

Finally taking the light to water!

On Saturday morning, I departed from Beijing and took a long ride to Qianxi county of Hebei province. In 1975, the government built dam there with one village which is part of a hundred-year old Great Wall that's under water. “ Under water Great Wall” is a very unique place, but in the middle of nowhere so you have to be super careful as no insurance will help if something happens. Last autumn, 2 exercise technical divers lost their lives in the same place with the reason still unknown. Since the water temperature at the bottom is only 5°C, I used my dry suit, thick hood and gloves.

Jumped in the water and light ON!

The results were very much what I expected of the light! Up to 10m visibility was a little poor, but from 10m to 30m was excellent. The light gave a stray light, but also some kind of spot light. After 60min dive, I don’t feel that it is too heavy. With 6.5mm gloves, the light was easy to use and operate. I will however, improve / change the reflector with a new one that has silver coating and more accurate shape. Anyway, I’m happy for first test. Hare are some phots
1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG

Finally taking the light to water!

On Saturday morning, I departed from Beijing and took a long ride to Qianxi county of Hebei province. In 1975, the government built dam there with one village which is part of a hundred-year old Great Wall that's under water. “ Under water Great Wall” is a very unique place, but in the middle of nowhere so you have to be super careful as no insurance will help if something happens. Last autumn, 2 exercise technical divers lost their lives in the same place with the reason still unknown. Since the water temperature at the bottom is only 5°C, I used my dry suit, thick hood and gloves.

Jumped in the water and light ON!

The results were very much what I expected of the light! Up to 10m visibility was a little poor, but from 10m to 30m was excellent. The light gave a stray light, but also some kind of spot light. After 60min dive, I don’t feel that it is too heavy. With 6.5mm gloves, the light was easy to use and operate. I will however, improve / change the reflector with a new one that has silver coating and more accurate shape. Anyway, I’m happy for first test. Hare are some phots
View attachment 463470 View attachment 463471 View attachment 463472 View attachment 463473 View attachment 463474 View attachment 463475

The light looks good! Would you ever consider building one for others? :p

Back
Top Bottom