Cancun's "must do" activities?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allen42

Contributor
Reaction score
I leave for for a week-long vac in Cancun in a few weeks. I'm going to do a fair bit of diving, but have also reserved a few days to spend with the wife.

Are there some must-see types of things that we should do while there?

Thanks,

Allen

My wife and I did a small sailboat cruise to Island of Women. The best part was the "drift snorkle" The first mate snorkles with you and the boat motors about a mile away and you drift down with the current.

Very nice time for a non-diving spouse.

I second that on Chichen-Itza, that was great. I also went up in a parachute behind a speedboat, that was great, I forget what that's called.
There was a nice place near to Tulum (part of the same trip) called Xe hala or something. It's a snorkle park basically, a kind of river meets sea but with lots of little islands that you snorkle around. THat was before I started diving . . .i remember I had a panic attack at the sight of a ray :rolleyes:

annie once bubbled...
I second that on Chichen-Itza, that was great. I also went up in a parachute behind a speedboat, that was great, I forget what that's called.
There was a nice place near to Tulum (part of the same trip) called Xe hala or something. It's a snorkle park basically, a kind of river meets sea but with lots of little islands that you snorkle around. THat was before I started diving . . .i remember I had a panic attack at the sight of a ray.

Parasailing.

Xel-ha.

Chichen-Itza sounds good. (Ruins, right?) What is the best way to "do" this? Book a tour through someone? Recommendations?

As far as the other athletic things (snorkeling, parasailing, etc.) goes, we won't be doing those for some health reasons.

Any other sightseeing type of things to do?

To see Chichen-Itza (ruins, yes) from Cancun, you can join a tour on a bus or rent a car and drive; it's about a 2-2 1/2 hour drive.

If you go it alone, which is cheaper, I recommend that you hire a guide so that you see it all and know what you are looking at.

It's a lot of walking, BTW. Big place.

Although I can only handle a bit of shopping myself you'll be in an area very conducive to shopping.

My most memorable tour was Chizen Itza. It was described as the New York city of ruins. It will take a full day to get there, tour and get back.

Tulum was another much smaller but are absolutely beautiful ruins.

Xel Ha did not impress me. It was basically a manmade snorkel, tubing place. Although there is a very good dolphin experience if your wife is in to that type of thing. I don't think the people only get wet from the waist down.

Above all, don't forget to spend some time relaxing!

Have fun.
Paula

Just got back last week from Coz. After all our diving my son and I rented the scooters on our last day and had a blast circling the island. We stopped at all the interesting spots along the road, and all of it during a driving rain storm. It's low cost and mellow, but we had a tremendous time.

Thanks, but I asked about Cancun.

Be sure to check out Chankanaab Park on your next visit to Coz. Lots to do there as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom