Cancun vs Cozumel Flight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree. It is becoming a sort of ritual that my wife and I look forward to. We buy a beer at the CUN airport before boarding the bus (or van). Last time we chatted with another couple on the bus, and the time passed quickly. They were from Texas but spoke Spanish, so we started off in Spanish before they got tired of our poor Spanish and switched the conversation to English. Arriving in Playa del Carmen, we first find a hole-in-the-wall to eat lunch at before running the gauntlet through the touristy area leading to the ferry. But down at the ferry, we can buy another beer. Last time we happened to arrive at the ferry landing just before one departed, so timing was perfect. But waiting an hour would hardly be a burden. The ferry ride itself is kind of fun, and we enjoy the anticipation as Cozumel slowly comes into view. I suppose if the weather is bad, that might change everything. But on a nice day, the trip from Cancun to Cozumel is a ritual we almost look forward to.

Walking off a plane and getting a taxi straight to a hotel in Cozumel would be so, I dunno, anticlimactic. You can do that anywhere in the world. When I'm in Mexico, I want to cram in as much of Mexico as I can.

Different strokes for different folks.
Indeed. The trek to Cozumel from Cancun is not that bad if you travel light (we don't), and I am on Island Time starting from the time I find my seat on the plane from Houston. The trek back to Cancun when it's time to go home, however, is another story, IMO. I much prefer the short taxi ride to the CZM airport.

Indeed. The trek to Cozumel from Cancun is not that bad if you travel light (we don't), and I am on Island Time starting from the time I find my seat on the plane from Houston. The trek back to Cancun when it's time to go home, however, is another story, IMO. I much prefer the short taxi ride to the CZM airport.

I don't know if we travel light. We each have a roller duffel and a backpack. I suppose if one also has a Pelican case of camera gear, that would make things difficult. We aren't photographers.

I hear ya about "island time," but in my mind, "island time" conjures up someplace with serene white sand beaches and swaying palms. Cozumel may be an island, but it just doesn't give me the tropical island vibe for some reason. Maybe the fact that it's overrun with cruise shippers and divers :wink:

I don't know if we travel light. We each have a roller duffel and a backpack. I suppose if one also has a Pelican case of camera gear, that would make things difficult. We aren't photographers.

We usually have three 49.999 lb bags (one of them is a rolling cooler) and two rolling carry-on's. Before airlines were charging for second bags we had four checked bags. Every year we decide that this time we are going to cut way back, but mission creep sets in when we start packing and before we know it we are back to where we were the previous trip. This year, the airline is charging for all bags, so maybe... :D

Some might also consider that Southwest only flies to Cancun, not to Cozumel. The flight is from Atlanta, so it's probably not the best option for those west of the Mississippi. I think there are plans to add flights from Houston this year (still just to Cancun).

I will try not to make this complicated. If you look at Ultramar you can see the ferry schedule. It alternates with Mexico Water Jets So between them, ONE them is running at all of those times.

Then there is the new ferry, Barcos Caribe. But basically Barcos leaves Playa Del Carmen last at 11pm and one of the other two leaves Cozumel at 0600.

Figure 50 minutes in the crossing. 50 minutes on a van between Playa and CUN. You could be in the check in line by 0800.

Mayair leave Coz at 0700, 20 minute flight so you can be in the check in line around 730 ish. You can negotiate a little better price than what is on the website if you call or email them.

Basically early morning departures can be tricky. With the new 11 pm ferry late arrivals are pretty doable.

I will PM all my van guy stuff.

I agree about the VAN GUY. He is great. Gets you back and forth to PDC and CUN with enough time to relax. And very entertaining. We have used him on trips that we take alone, no students, down to Coz. Getting there on May 12th this time and going to Hotel Cozumel for a week.

Thom

Probably only on low-humidity days, though, right?
Pretty much. We leave our non-rechargeable batteries there, so when our stuff is damp coming back that makes up the difference.

The second factor can be determinative, as any flight returning home through CUN and leaving earlier than say 11:00 A.M. means either getting up REAL early on the last day and risking missing the flight if something goes wrong with the connection, or spending last night in Playa Del Carmen. A 9:00 A.M. departure out of CUN means I'll probably need to spend the last night at a hotel near the Cancun Airport, making that option very unattractive.

The bigger problem is that if you are planning a return flight that early, it means you should not be diving the prior morning. That's just foolish for folks planning a dive vacation. I always plan as late a return flight as possible. More time in paradise and more diving. Same thing on the front end. Flying into CZM means I can usually get in early enough for an afternoon dive. That's virtually impossible flying into CUN. If you're going to Coz for a couple of weeks, those extra 2 dives might not mean much. Otherwise calculate your travel cost per dive. That extra $200 you paid to fly to CZM might not look so bad when you can divide your fare by 2 extra dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom