Cancun trip in Jan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

I have an opportunity to spend a long weekend in Cancun in mid-January. It'll be my first time in Mexico. From this board, it sounds like M.A.D. is a good op to go with, Cozumel is closeby and potentially doable, and the currents can be famously ripping.

Does anyone have any other suggestions/advice for a first-time trip? I have some basic questions below, but would appreciate thoughts on any topic!

Any other reliable dive operators, or ones to stay away from? PM is fine for the latter.

Is Cozumel diving a realistic daytrip from a Cancun resort?

Do I need to book anything in advance? For Coz?

What's the "typical" recreational dive profile?

What's the typical cost for a 2-tank boat dive?

Any particular dive spots or locations to recommend or avoid?

Assuming some drift dives, should I buy/bring an SMB or will they be provided if needed?

Any other specialized equipment recommended? I'm planning on renting most everything when I get there.

What else do you recommend doing in the area on (gasp) non-dive days?

I know it's a lot of questions. Thanks in advance!

Did I say something wrong? Maybe I should have posted in the Coz forum?

Id say go with MAD like youre considering.
They can arrange dives for you in the cenotes, cancun and cozumel as well as whaleshark snorkling (Not sure if whalesharks is doable in january tho).
Id also recommend doing some of each of the possibilities. The cenotes is AMAZING

Thanks a lot. Too bad about the whale sharks, but my trip is short and I doubt I'd have time to snorkel AND dive.

All your questions can be answered by dropping Ben an email. benrmooney@yahoo.co.uk.

Best op in Cancun, you'll be happy with your dive package. Unlike some ops, MAD will not take you to a crappy dive site. Typically, you'll dive on Manchones, Punta Negra and a few others. Cenotes are fantastic. I went with Isidro and had a fantastic time. All the staff are great to be with, and when it's time to go, you'll have made some life long friends.

They will pick you up at the hotel and deliver you home at night. Where are you staying? You need to have dinner downtown, at least one night. The La Parilla or the La Placitas are both excellent places.

I wish you good weather and great diving! Eagle rays are plentiful these days, might even catch a Manta ray.

Assuming some drift dives, should I buy/bring an SMB or will they be provided if needed?

I'd be very surprised if a dive operator required (or provided) an SMB. I certainly haven't seen that practice in Cozumel. On the other hand, I think an SMB is an excellent thing to have on you, particularly given Cozumel's high-current conditions.

In Cozumel I've generally found myself in one of two situations: (1) When diving from a charter in which the DM insisted we stick together as a group, ascending and descending together, I brought my SMB along but did not deploy it. I figured if the worst happened and I was separated from the group, it might be valuable, but I certainly didn't want to interfere with the DM's SMB. (2) When diving from a charter that allowed us to do our own profiles, I showed the DM and the boat crew my SMB beforehand and let them know that I'd be using it. It probably wasn't 100% necessary, but the visibility it provided definitely allowed me to relax a bit more and enjoy my nice long, slow ascents. (Cozumel diving is generally deep, after all.)

Bear in mind that deploying an SMB and negotiating the spool takes a bit of practice, so you might want to give it a whirl in your home territory before your Cozumel dives...

Awesome, thanks all.

came back Saturday, contact Im always diving on this board for the Cenotes, 4 dives ocean and a two tank cenote should cost no more than $245 American... Coz is definately close enough, but you can also dive the wrecks and reefs south of Cancun...Make sure ben is on Board if you go on the Ocean dive, they could be a bit longerr that way....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom