Cancun operators and NDL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sybernut

Reaction score
I've been in contact with 3 Cancun dive operators about dive profiles, and they all seem to push the limits of PADI NDL, one operator does reverse profiles, etc... sometimes, they go beyond NDL, although they claim to do deco stops. This seems a bit beyond rec diving and OW... anyone have any input / experiences on this?

thanks,
Sy

Sorry, forgot to mention... what do you folks do when your computer tells you to do something that the rest of the diving group isn't doing?

thanks,
Sy

sybernut:
I've been in contact with 3 Cancun dive operators about dive profiles, and they all seem to push the limits of PADI NDL, one operator does reverse profiles, etc... sometimes, they go beyond NDL, although they claim to do deco stops. This seems a bit beyond rec diving and OW... anyone have any input / experiences on this?

thanks,
Sy

Be careful with NDL's since they don't really exist.

A decompresison obligation is essentially an overhead. Don't do it unless you're properly equiped and YOU know what you're doing.

sybernut:
Sorry, forgot to mention... what do you folks do when your computer tells you to do something that the rest of the diving group isn't doing?

thanks,
Sy

You and your buddy dive your own plan. What were you taught to do? You and your buddy follow the most conservative computer between you right?

If you're going to dive a computer, understand what it's telling you and why and make decissions accordingly. If you chose to dive that computer why would you violate it because some one else is?

Don't do trust-me dives.

I'm a bit confused by your statement that the Cancun operators tend to push NDLs.

Cancun dive sites, with the notable exception of the 75 or 80' deep C-55 wreck, generally have max depth of less than 60', and the dive times of the 2 operators I used were relatively short.

The profiles of the 10 dives I did last year in Cancun were relatively mild compared to those at other popular resort destinations. My Oceanic computer never even entered the yellow zone (which corresponds to a max loading of around 85% of NDL levels).

Since the Cancun reefs are relatively low profile, the dives are close to square profile and using a simple table such as the PADI RDP doesn't have as great a penalty as at places such as Cozumel, where multilevel planning is much more appropriate.

-----

Your second post implies that you have a computer. You should find that the planned profiles are well within your computer limits. As part of the dive briefing the DM will tell you his intended max depth and time. You should use your computer's dive planning mode to validate this plan and bring up any objections before you enter the water.

In any case, YOU are responsible for your safety. If you need to ascend or need to extend a safety stop, then you and your buddy should do that.

Thanks for the input.

I wouldn't be posting or shelling out for a computer if I wanted to do 'trust-me' dives, although the operators' attitude is, of course, 'trust me'. Yes, computer rules are fine for buddy dives, but I've been told that it's "follow the DM" on larger-group dives, and I don't have experience with the politics of potential dive-profile conflicts with the DM (I imagine it'll be go-no-go). I deliberately chose a conservative computer... and plan to follow it.

One op offers a 75-80 ft dive in Cozumel (day trip) for 35-40 minutes, which is pushing it (not ALL at 75-80 ft, presumably), some do reverse-profiling and there's a Cancun wreck dive offered at 90 ft. (WWII boat), don't know for how long. I'm diving every day for 5 days, >1 day of rest before flying home, with as little day-to-day reverse profiling as possible.

regards,
Sy

Sy, YOU are responsible for planning your dive and diving your plan. An idea would be for you to stop by the dive shop of your choice the afternoon of the day you arrive in town or the day before you want to dive. That gives you an opportunity to discuss the site they will be visiting as they will know the weather and have the site planned. They should be able to provide you with the depth, what the normal current strength to expect will be and what the weather should be. Sometimes they visit two different reefs so make sure to get both profiles. Ask about the SI which usually corresponds to the travel time between reefs. If you are traveling with a dive buddy you can plan the dive and look at your tables and find a conservative plan. If the DM tries to make you alter the plan and you are not comfortable doing so, find another dive op. Its that simple. A dive op that cuts corners on safety here - who know's what else they are doing. A good diver knows when to say no. When are you going?

Spent 5 days 2-tank diving with Scuba Cancun in the 20 to 80 foot range: never exceeded Suunto Mosquito NDL, and we never did a reverse profile; although the Mosquito did recommend an extended SI several times (as someone else mentioned). They seem pretty safety-conscious... the buddy system is a bit lax, however: as some of these dives (wreck, cavern, night) were a 1st for me, I was keeping an eye out for my buddies, but most people (including DM) in the group seemed pretty unconcerned...

I am definitely hooked now... :)

I can post details of the dives if people are interested (in which forum is this usually done?), but I guess they were pretty standard stuff...

regards,
Sy

I don't know about anyone else..but nobody can PUSH me to do anything underwater. Dive YOUR plan..interpret YOUR computer..that's why it's YOURS..it's YOUR profile. NDL is different in every diver and every dive. It is to be used as a guide...as far as Mexican Dive sites...watch Yourself..Your talking to the same people that will put anyone in the water. No need or regulation for certification to dive in Mexican Waters. Just Money...show up with Green..$$$$ say "DIVE" and Your on Your way.

I also dove with scuba cancun. I did my advanced open water with them. It was great and safe. I have my oceanic computer set to the most conservative level. I came close to my no deco once. We were in cozumel on a drift dive. We were around 60 feet. I just signaled to the DM that I was OK and rose up to 30 feet and drifted above the group. The DM was fine with that. And more imoprtantly so was my computer. No one is going to hold you down under water. YOU MUST NOT GO INTO NO DECO, unless you are trained to do so.

Back
Top Bottom