Cancun - June 06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulVS

Contributor
Reaction score
My PADI open water final is in May here in Chicago, and my wife and I have an annual company trip to Cancun in June. I took scuba back in the 70's but never got certified, and my wife and I have done 7 "discovery dives' in the last 3 years in Cozumel, Jamaica, and Cancun.

We'd like to hop over to Cozumel for a day - when we dove there 3 years ago I was in awe - but I'm not sure time whether time will allow it or not. We are tied to Cancun (staying at the Riu Palace which faces Isla Mujeres) for at least 4 days of the trip since it's 'business'. Last year on this corporate trip to the Riu Cancun we did one discovery dive that was mediocre at best.

I know the concensus would be to get to Cozumel if at all possible - but if we can't - can someone recommend any Cancun reefs that are worth the time? We definitely will want to stay <70'

I have heard Bandera Reef is the best one there. Input is appreciated.

Gran Pin is the best in my opinion. Bandera is pretty good too. Just be aware that you can get a bit of surge on these dives so I'd bring your own fins if you can (assuming you don't have your own kit). Personally I like the reefs in Cancun better - what you see is not big but abundant and by and large is easier diving than Coz and I suspect would suit you better.

dbulmer:
Gran Pin is the best in my opinion. Bandera is pretty good too. Just be aware that you can get a bit of surge on these dives so I'd bring your own fins if you can (assuming you don't have your own kit). Personally I like the reefs in Cancun better - what you see is not big but abundant and by and large is easier diving than Coz and I suspect would suit you better.

Not sure what you would classify as easier Dbulmer, but I would consider a drift dive in Coz about as strenuous as lying in bed. Drop down off a dive boat, properly weighted ,get your buoyancy just right and watch the world go by. The most strenuous part is getting back on the boat, ready for your next dive.
Kelly

Two reasons.

1)From memory no reef is greater than 16/17 metres which is within his OW qualification.

2) My experience of Coz is that the dives were deeper and I prefer buddies I know on deeper dives. I've never forgotten butthead and son of butthead who ruined one of my dives by being 1 hour late and crashing on top of me in the water.

That said, the old Yor Mileage Nay Vary come into play :)

I would have to agree with dbulmer about the 2 reefs that he has suggested. I just got back from Cancun last thursday and dived 2 days in cancun and it was awsome .I got to touch a sea turtle, i saw doliphins ( which they only see once or twice a year) and a nur shark. i also had a chance to hit cozumel for a day . It was the best diving i have ever done. I saw a 7ft long eel. and i did my first deep dive there. If you would like to know of a good shop to go with , go with manta dive shop. The dive master there named Alex is the best. He was with us for 4 day of diving. he knows his stuff.

Back
Top Bottom