Cancun - good and bad (really bad) dive ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whodunit68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had the pleasure of diving with Ben of Mayan Aqua Divers in Cancun after a very unfortunate experience with obnoxious and money hungrey Manta Divers. In fact, they offered to refund the rest of my pre-paid dive package and I quickly accepted after only 1 day of diving the cenotes. 4 weeks later, of course, they have not refunded what they said they would. It's a good thing credit cards exist for fraudulent, money-hungry dive ops.
I found Ben afterwards (though he and his op are tough to find) and had a great experience. The DMs, instructors, captain, ship mates, and Ben himself are great to dive with and really work hard to show people a good experience. he looks around and sees who he's got...photographers, wreck divers, etc, and makes his best effort to go that route.
If in Cancun and wanting to dive, check them out (Mayan Aqua Dive - Mayan Aqua Dive offers Cancun Diving, Snorkeling, Cavern Diving, Cozumel Dives&PADI Courses). Avoid Manta Divers unless you want your money stolen and a bad experience.

your experiences may vary but these were mine.

I'm looking forward to meeting Ben and his crew for the first time in a few days.

Would you care to expand on the diving.

Thanks,

PH

I was there for a short weekend getaway. There are 2 wrecks off Cancun and we did one of them. I hear there's a weekly night dive that I missed unfortunatley but I hear Cancun night diving is quite good. The reefs varied in depth, current, and viz, but nothing was less than about 30-40 foot fiz. The wreck site had great viz but strong current. Everything was a drift that I did (though I only did about 5 dives with them). They do a cenotes trip that I didn't do because I was leaving that day but I hear they do a great job.
have a great time with them!

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience but at the same time, I am happy that Ben at Mayan Aqua Dive was there to make it a positive experience. One of the factors that led me to book my dives wtih M.A.D was Ben's attitude and passion about diving. The whole crew shares this trait and it sure makes for great diving times. I was in Cancun in February with them and not a day goes by that I don't think about the time spent with them. They make diving fun!

thanks Jmdive, have a great time with them. robint, I gave some idea of what happened - I encountered people who were only interested in money and were incredibly rude. Also, one of the two guides was extremely arrogant and condescending, not just to me. there was a young person with us who was kind of new to diving. If someone wants more and specific details, please do feel free to pm me and I'll provide all you want.
it's several weeks later and the refund of the remaining dollars they offered they still have not provided. this alone should be enough to dissuade a potential customer. I mentioned to a seasoned traveler in the area that I went out with them to the Cenotes. he said to me: "was the first thing they said to you cash or credit?" he was right - that WAS the first thing they said to me (including the lack of greeting knowing I flew in just to dive with them).
thank you for pointing it out, robint.

Glad to hear that Ben and the Crew at MAD were there to save the day. I dove with Ben last year and will be there in a couple weeks to go dive with MAD again. Due to their professionalism they are the only Op I will use whenever there.

I dove Chac Mool with Isidro (Ben's boat captain) back in 2007. We had two fantastic dives. Just the experience inside a cavern for the first time is awesome! Well, the second, third, etc and just as marvelous.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Manta. It's not the first time I've heard comments like yours.

hey that's awesome Spratman - the next time I go to Cancun and I'm diving, for sure it will be with Ben & his crew. Sorry that you've heard comments about Manta. While it validates my experiences, it's a true shame. how they can ignore my emails and not refund my money is beyond me. That's simply a set of thieves. Thankfully, my credit card will help solve the problem but it's just so stupid. reefdvr & Spratman, I'm glad you shared your positive experiences. That's what these forums are about!

I dove Chac Mool with Isidro (Ben's boat captain) back in 2007. We had two fantastic dives. Just the experience inside a cavern for the first time is awesome! Well, the second, third, etc and just as marvelous.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Manta. It's not the first time I've heard comments like yours.

Spratman,

I don't know you, nor do I work for Manta, but it seems like you have heard bad things about every dive op in Cancun... Now I don't doubt MAD is a very good shop, but don't bad mouth every other shop just because Ben is your buddy. To the OP, sorry you had a bad experience with Manta (or any other shop in my town). Glad to hear MAD gave you your money's worth.

Back
Top Bottom