Cancun - good and bad (really bad) dive ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks Vrykolakas. Just for the record, I didn't know Ben or MAD from before this trip. I saw them mentioned with good recommendations on SB and used them hoping to salvage my short weekend trip to Cancun. They did. Manta still has kept my $ - having money effectively stolen is a pretty bad experience. And of course they ignore my requests to give my money back (not for something I'm unhappy with but for unused service that they said they would provide back).

Spratman,

I don't know you, nor do I work for Manta, but it seems like you have heard bad things about every dive op in Cancun... Now I don't doubt MAD is a very good shop, but don't bad mouth every other shop just because Ben is your buddy. To the OP, sorry you had a bad experience with Manta (or any other shop in my town). Glad to hear MAD gave you your money's worth.

I opted not to list the deficiencies of other dive shops. I do a lot of research prior to going on a dive trip. I read the local (Cancun) dive boards, as well as, a lot of boards in the US. I've talked to people from the resorts and have personal experience with two other ops.

I make recommendations according to my experience and research. Several people thought I was getting kick backs from MAD among other things. I dove with Ben when he was with Scuba Cancun. He certified me and impressed me sufficiently that I had to search him out on a subsequent trip, because said dive shop wouldn't give me any information. People spend a lot of money on dive vacations, and I recommend MAD because I know they will be treated right.

He has since certified my son and daughter. I recommend Ben because I've never had a bad experience with his op and I have never been treated better. But then again, people do not need to take my word for it. They can do a search and find nothing but sterling remarks in their dive reports, after a week diving with MAD.

Thanks for your comments.

thanks Vrykolakas. Just for the record, I didn't know Ben or MAD from before this trip. I saw them mentioned with good recommendations on SB and used them hoping to salvage my short weekend trip to Cancun. They did. Manta still has kept my $ - having money effectively stolen is a pretty bad experience. And of course they ignore my requests to give my money back (not for something I'm unhappy with but for unused service that they said they would provide back).

My name is Miguel I work for Manta Divers now for 6 years and I certainly am not a thief. Just to get the story right that I can prove with emails and paypal receipts to anyone who would like more info here is our side of the story:
Mr.Mann wanted to start a dive package but wanted to book it one day to the next, that is fine we get a lot of that but unfortunately we did not have a night dive planned due to not having divers for the day he wanted, I repeat it is ok to recieve reservations one day to the next but being a small personal service op we sometimes cannot provide a night dive as demanded.
Mr. Mann wanted also from one day to the next to book a hotel but was on a low budget so the owners of Manta Divers did go out of their way to get him a cheap hotel downtown, we even recommended a company we work for to get him a hotel but that did not work out, our contact said he was very rude and could not work with them, so we did get him a hotel, not only that but we unlike other dive operations do not pick up (for caverns we pick up at hotels on hotel zone and downtown but in this case the owners picked him up on their personal car and brought him to the shop), we have one of the best cave guides in the world, and he and others of our divers even the van driver claimed that Mr. Mann was very rude to all of them complaining etc. (I was not there) but I do have emails from our other clients that were and can post or pm anyone if there are doubts, because they all remember him quite well. He dove on March 21st. The next day and with such short notice we could not provide a night dive for one diver, but offered another dive in Cancun even a discount but he just wanted to cancel the rest of his dive package that was he was charged for Cavern dives but was refunded
The reason he cancelled the rest of his dive trip was us not been able to provide a night dive. I have prove of paypal return of u$155 ON APRIL 8TH, so when he posted his first post april 4th it had not been 4 weeks, unfortunately not only us but lately every dive shop has had to cancel dives and refund due to the harbor master closing the port due to high winds and had not had the chance to refund him his "STOLEN MONEY" until april 8th and this is because HE DID NOT COME BY OUR SHOP TO PICK UP CASH REFUND. We have prove of all his emails one day before he came in Cancun, wanting a hotel right away etc. Mimi and John at Manta Divers were more than helpful with this person because we are that way if you are one only client or a group of 10. I repeat of all this I have proof if anyone would like to I can certainly send it.
MAD is an awesome dive op, Ben operates for the owners and is a magnificent instructor one of the few greatest instructors in the area, and they provide an excellent service.
But Spratman you have heard comments like this person's experience but you have on this same board mentioned and I quote "there are 2 great dive ops one is MAD and the other Manta Divers" sorry you changed your mind.
Truth is we do care for our clients and strive to provide the best service and there are several comments not only on this board about myself and our service in general.
Thank you for your time on reading this, and there is no argument about it, we have the emails stating that not doing night dive was reason to cancel, the paypal copy of refunded money, emails from other clients about their experience with this person at the Caverns and emails from our Cave guide as well.
HOPE THIS INFO HELPS:D

Last edited:
And just for the record, we are all different and maybe sometimes a weekend vacation just pops up out of nowhere and that is fine, but if that happens, i at least am not going to expect to do everything i want to do, and yes we tried to get more divers for that night dive, we did every thing we could, we could not do it we offered choices.....About the cavern diving I could post or send emails from hundreds of our repetitive divers that come back to dive with us and request Leif who is one of the best Cave/Cavern guides in the world, but we do not ask all our clients to post on this board....when they have it is out of their own will....
Hope this info helps

Last edited:
THE FOLLOWING IS WRITTEN BY THE ACTUAL OWNER OF MANTA DIVERS THROUGH MY SCUBABOARD ACCOUNT:

I actually cancelled you because you where so rude and obnoxious, I didn't want you around my other customers. I had received complaints from everyone that was around you the day you went to the caverns with us. I have never in seven years asked a customer to find someone else to dive with, you are the first! I guess you are special. Even after my wife (Mimi) spent three hours on the phone finding you a hotel, that you didn't even appreciate. I did send you a refund by PAYPAL on April 8th because you never came by the shop for your refund.

John Dykes
Owner Manta Divers

Last edited:
And just for the record, we are all different and maybe sometimes a weekend vacation just pops up out of nowhere and that is fine, but if that happens, i at least am not going to expect to do everything i want to do, and yes we tried to get more divers for that night dive, we did every thing we could, we could not do it we offered choices.....About the cavern diving I could post or send emails from hundreds of our repetitive divers that come back to dive with us and request Leif who is one of the best Cave/Cavern guides in the world, but we do not ask all our clients to post on this board....when they have it is out of their own will....
Hope this info helps

AND BY THE WAY ON THE FIRST POST IT IS STATED MONEY "HUNGREY" I AM NOT AN AMERICAN NOR MY ENGLISH IS PERFECT BUT I BELIEVE IT IS WRITTEN HUNGRY. THEN IT IS REPEATED AGAIN THE MONEY HUNGRY ISSUE, BUT THIS PERSON THAT CLAIMS HIS MONEY WAS "STOLEN" AND THEN THE LOW BUDGET NEED OF A HOTEL DOWNTOWN MAKES US WONDER WHY HE DID NOT PICK UP HIS MONEY IN CANCUN BEFORE HE LEFT AS HE WAS OFFERED?? IN NO WAY IS THIS MEANT AS AN OFFENSE LIKE WE HAVE BEEN :shakehead: CALLED THIEVES.....BUT ANYWAY

But Spratman you have heard comments like this person's experience but you have on this same board mentioned and I quote "there are 2 great dive ops one is MAD and the other Manta Divers" sorry you changed your mind.

Hola Miguel,

My opinions have not changed regarding the two best dive ops in Cancun. I still say that MAD and Manta Divers are the two best.

Sometimes the complaints have merit, sometimes they do not. You and the boss have stated your case, Whodunit68 has stated his. Normally, the truth is found somewhere in the middle.

Thanks for stating your side of the story.

Quite frankly, these two personal attacks are not the first I've had since being a member of SB. Doesn't hurt my feelings at all. That is why SB exists. If someone asks my opinion, they will get it without any sugar coating.

When I get to Cancun, we can get together for some Dos XX's...I will be at the Hotel Internationale.

Dive safe!

Jack

I didn't really want to post on this one but thanks everyone for your loyal support and following, you guys are awesome and without you I or mad would not be here, thats the truth!
Diving is a wonderful sport, hobby and lifestyle, of course there will be comments both good and bad and each shop, inst, owner has there own style and way of running things so it's up to the divers to find their shop where they feel happy, trust the op and safe.
Jack (spratman) your a legend and all the other happy sb members too so whenever we can beers and hotwings in hooters, my shout!
Keep diving, keep smiling and be happy!
See you soon and thanks again from mad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom