Cancellation Policy Changes at Blue Angel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How can one run a property if customers won't book in the first place if they might easily lose their deposits for events out of their control? Like flights canceled or travel restrictions imposed. Hotels don't offer generous cancellation policies because they lijke giving money back but because it encourages more people to book without worry.

As for the OP, that is pure BS. They have to abide by the policy they told you BEFORE booking, not AFTER booking. I'd tell them to return my deposit now or I'd file a dispute on credit card. As for them not having funds to return deposits, it was their choice to spend your deposit rather than hold it.
Fortunately, I read the web site policy and then their booking e-mail before I paid a deposit, so I have lost no money. These days, I'm getting all the terms and conditions clarified before I book.

Personally, I would have no concerns with a "No Refund" cancellation policy because short of my demise or a horrific accident, I will go back to BA in the future. In fact, I am already planning my next Coz/BA trip for this March-April.
But what if they went out of business before you got there and your deposit is lost? Are you okay with that? I'm not.

I booked recently (a couple of weeks ago) with BA and they were very clear BEFORE we paid the deposit that those were the terms. They sent that same email either with the invoice for the deposit, or just before. OP I’m sorry that you didn’t get the same clear message. That would sour my experience too. For me, those were the terms, they stated them before I gave any money, I could take them or leave them, and I chose to take them.
...Everything crossed we get to go on our (third time rebooked) Coz trip next month, but if not we will rebook for next year.
I would love to hear a post-trip review of Blue Angel. Have a great time!

I fully support people's own decisions to send money however there is sometimes a bit of "boasting" or "shaming", perhaps unintentional. The people and businesses of Cozumel are facing hardships but they are hardly alone. Cozumel is world's better off than places like Roatan or Costa Rica that haven't even re-opened yet. I estimate my DMs this week took home at least $300 which is not raking it in but many DMs in other places didn't work at all. There is an entire world in need of help.

I also wonder about the attitude that the customer should be concerned with the financial hardships of the provider. When times are good, are the providers concerned with the financial hardships of customers? Do they set aside rooms and spots for half-price deals to the economically disadvantaged? Do they allocate a percentage of revenues to support others in need of help?
You'll have to pardon me if I don't quite understand. My concern is about a nonrefundable deposit at Blue Angel in COVID times. I SHOULD be concerned about their financial hardships if it affects the security of my deposit. This is purely a business transaction and I'm not looking for discounts or deals or any charity.

You'll have to pardon me if I don't quite understand. My concern is about a nonrefundable deposit at Blue Angel in COVID times. I SHOULD be concerned about their financial hardships if it affects the security of my deposit. This is purely a business transaction and I'm not looking for discounts or deals or any charity.

Of course you should be concerned about putting up money with a business that may be struggling. What I meant is that you shouldn't have to make sacrifices or take risks to accomodate their issues. You should be able to do due diligence and protect yourself as a customer without making a "covid" exception. Many seemed to have been saying that you should accept this risky policy and perhaps not even complain if you lose your money because they really need it.

I also want to clarify my comments in the second half of the post questioning whether businesses there ever cut any breaks to those in need when times were good for them. I'm not making any allegations of what BA or any other business has or hasn't done. I don't know. But I would be more inclined to help a business or person in need if they have a history of helping others in need likewise. Show me that a business allocated a percentage of profits in good times to community support, like teaching poor kids how to dive or rescuing stray animals or such versus owners just raking it in and getting richer. I'd be far more inclined to cut them some slack now.

Maybe I can sum this all up in one comment... Maybe. If one puts down a non-refundable deposit or a deposit with screwy refund policies that is their choice but they should view it as a "Donation", not a deposit, not a credit for future stays, etc. It's a donation at this point and if you're cool with that and understand that you may never recover that deposit or have it applied to future stays that's great.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful input. Blue Angel went silent to my e-mails this week until today. I asked, again, for them to honor their web site policy and not the new 40% deposit, nonrefundable policy. They have declined to honor it. I understand they can make changes to their policies at any time, but for goodness sake, they've had months to update their web site. I feel like it's a bait and switch, and I think it speaks volumes to their financial stability. I may be only one reservation they just lost, but that sends a strong (and scary) message about their customer service. I will continue my search for a different location. My advice: Buyer beware!

One might ask, given the uncertainty that you know exists due to the crisis caused by the pandemic, why would you book a vacation anywhere?

The crisis is real, the financial impact is real. This is a business that has been working to weather the storm, and they adjusted how they operate to survive and hopefully continue to do so for the sake of their employees and any other stakeholders like the businesses and people that make up their supply chain, as an example.

I am not saying that I agree with their policy...I would not accept a return policy like that either, but then again, I don't understand why people are booking vacations at all to places when there is so much uncertainty. As an analogy this is like early adoption of technology...if one rushes out to buy the latest release of a new tech item don't be surprised for running changes that improve that product or fix issues that exist in the earlier release of the product, that is the risk of having the latest and greatest. Booking vacation at a time when airlines may cancel, dive-ops may cancel, hotels may cancel, the local or national government closes access to the island is a financial risk. If you are booking a vacation there then you are saying that either you don't care about that risk or you accept that risk.

The fact they have one policy listed on their website and another at the time of booking is not relevant other than it is a cause for people to complain...the actionable policy is the one you accept at the time you commit your funds. It is a good thing you actually read it and did not gloss over it. You obviously always have the right to choose, but the choice is not between cancelation policies, it is where to book, or even to go or not.

If one wants to travel during this period of uncertainty, that is great from the standpoint of supporting the economy and whatnot, but realistically you, the traveller have to acknowledge that you are accepting a great deal of risk.

-Z

I would agree with you if we were in pre-COVID times and the hotels were at a high occupancy rate. Post-COVID, there is no reason for a nonrefundable deposit when the the hotel is at, let's say, half capacity. If a hotel depends on deposits to run the property, the owners need to rethink their way of doing business.

Let's hope that they get the chance to do that soon.

One might ask, given the uncertainty that you know exists due to the crisis caused by the pandemic, why would you book a vacation anywhere?

The crisis is real, the financial impact is real. This is a business that has been working to weather the storm, and they adjusted how they operate to survive and hopefully continue to do so for the sake of their employees and any other stakeholders like the businesses and people that make up their supply chain, as an example.

I am not saying that I agree with their policy...I would not accept a return policy like that either, but then again, I don't understand why people are booking vacations at all to places when there is so much uncertainty. As an analogy this is like early adoption of technology...if one rushes out to buy the latest release of a new tech item don't be surprised for running changes that improve that product or fix issues that exist in the earlier release of the product, that is the risk of having the latest and greatest. Booking vacation at a time when airlines may cancel, dive-ops may cancel, hotels may cancel, the local or national government closes access to the island is a financial risk. If you are booking a vacation there then you are saying that either you don't care about that risk or you accept that risk.

The fact they have one policy listed on their website and another at the time of booking is not relevant other than it is a cause for people to complain...the actionable policy is the one you accept at the time you commit your funds. It is a good thing you actually read it and did not gloss over it. You obviously always have the right to choose, but the choice is not between cancelation policies, it is where to book, or even to go or not.

If one wants to travel during this period of uncertainty, that is great from the standpoint of supporting the economy and whatnot, but realistically you, the traveller have to acknowledge that you are accepting a great deal of risk.

-Z

Not booking at all will not help the struggling businesses at all.

What's the risk due to "uncertainty" if everything you book is refundable or you just book on arrival? This nonrefundable deposit policy is the exception not the norm. Plenty of other places are surviving without policies like this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom