Cancellation Policy Changes at Blue Angel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I booked recently (a couple of weeks ago) with BA and they were very clear BEFORE we paid the deposit that those were the terms. They sent that same email either with the invoice for the deposit, or just before. OP I’m sorry that you didn’t get the same clear message. That would sour my experience too. For me, those were the terms, they stated them before I gave any money, I could take them or leave them, and I chose to take them.
...Everything crossed we get to go on our (third time rebooked) Coz trip next month, but if not we will rebook for next year.

Running a service-industry business myself in these times I am well aware that they may not be there next year. Hell, I may not be able to afford to go next year :):) With that knowledge firmly on board I still parted with my hard-earned money. Some may deem that foolish but in these unprecedented times I'll forge ahead with bookings, wager my few hundred bucks, and hopefully help them to keep the doors open and their staff paid for as long as possible.

I'm really quite shocked either of you would put deposit $ down with BA under those stated terms and conditions when you could simply arrive, take a taxi to their door and take your choice of available rooms at whatever price you were quoted for your stay. Do you think they are gonna turn you away because you don't have a reservation or hadn't put down a deposit?

Oh well, everyone makes their own decisions. By all means I am not saying travelers shouldn't consider staying at BA but I'd rather just have correspondence with management that I don't like their current terms regarding the refund of deposits and I'd prefer to "take my chances" and just show up on such and such a date for a stay of x # of days and if there are rooms available at the quoted price for my stay I'll stay and if there aren't I'll have the taxi take me to my back-up hotel or resort and see if they have availability. Done. Don't let BA's financial problems become a problem of yours or any establishment that is demanding deposits with screwy refund policies. You are the consumer/customer. You are in charge... Not them. It's your $... Not theirs until you say so.

Dear Deeper Thoughts,

Just so you know, Aldora Divers is currently running 4 divers per boat which is about their break even point and not losing money at a great extent. They have 9 boats and many assets to get them thru any problem. Sept 9 is to open them for 6 divers per boat which will support re growth.

Of course I no longer own any of Aldora Divers but I do own the Villa Aldora. I own the Villa free and clear and could if I wanted to, just shut it down and live there by myself. But there are many people who enjoy the place so I will keep it open for them. And no, we don't take deposits for the Villa and no risk of it is going broke.

Good Luck to you in your quest.

Dave Dillehay

OK, so I am a bit biased. I stayed at Casa Mex and Bahia Suites, always liked to be close to town. But never felt much like a relaxing vacation, after diving nowhere to really hang out. Then we found BA about 10 years ago. Been there probably 7-8 times, maybe more. Rooms are sparse and functional but the grounds were spacious and comfortable, grass area, good pool, hammocks, bar area. Good food at the restaurant. Easy enough walk or cab to town. On site tanks, decent shore dive. I can't see staying anywhere else. We dive with a different op and get picked up at the pier by that op.

At first I thought that you had paid the deposit and they changed, which would have been wrong. Now understand that this was before you paid. I have no problem with their stated policy if it's made before you pay it. You may not like it, but they have a right to change their policy.

The best deal used to be pay the balance in cash and get 10% off, but that changed last time we were there in Nov.

And all of my communications with them via email are like that, English is not their first language so the emails are a little rough but I give them the benefit of the doubt.

Would I give a non-refundable deposit now? Hmmm, i'd have to think about it, but primarily due to circumstances. I've taken a hit on a Sea of Cortez trip, and might also on an Indonesia and possibly Red Sea trip next year, so i'd put it in that context. Do I think it's reasonable that I will be going to BA through 2022 (as I read it)? Yes, I do. I think they will be around (might be wrong, who knows).

I am a very pleased and happy BA customer

I am a very pleased and happy BA customer
As am I. My mom and dad discovered it in 1981, shortly after it opened, and they became fast friends with Javier and Emma Segura, who are the original owners and who still live across the street. It was La Perla in those days. This was the first year since then that my mom hasn't spent at least a couple of weeks there, and she is very unhappy about it. My wife and I started joining my parents there in 1987 or so and this is my first missed year there since then. Likewise, I am not happy.

Cozumel is a very special place for me, as is that hotel. I make no judgement on their reservations policies although I am prone to cut them and all the other businesses on the island a lot of slack right now.

I'm really quite shocked either of you would put deposit $ down with BA under those stated terms and conditions when you could simply arrive, take a taxi to their door and take your choice of available rooms at whatever price you were quoted for your stay. Do you think they are gonna turn you away because you don't have a reservation or hadn't put down a deposit?

Oh well, everyone makes their own decisions. By all means I am not saying travelers shouldn't consider staying at BA but I'd rather just have correspondence with management that I don't like their current terms regarding the refund of deposits and I'd prefer to "take my chances" and just show up on such and such a date for a stay of x # of days and if there are rooms available at the quoted price for my stay I'll stay and if there aren't I'll have the taxi take me to my back-up hotel or resort and see if they have availability. Done. Don't let BA's financial problems become a problem of yours or any establishment that is demanding deposits with screwy refund policies. You are the consumer/customer. You are in charge... Not them. It's your $... Not theirs until you say so.

Color me schooled! I thought for a second my Dad had snuck onto SB; he’s really good at telling me what I should be doing and giving unsolicited advice too. But I give him a pass because, ya know, he’s my Dad.

Thank you for letting me know I’m in charge. That circumstance also relates to making my own decisions about what to do with my money.

If you are “shocked” by my behavior in PAYING A DEPOSIT under terms I was okay with, you’d pee your wetsuit about some of my other life decisions.

Thnx for posting this. It will have us looking elsewhere on Cozumel

Deeper Thoughts:

Read my last post. If BA is your #1 choice by all means you should stay there... Just do it under your terms and not theirs with that crazy deposit policy. I say DO NOT put deposit $ down with their screwy refund policy right now. As you look elsewhere, keep your "elsewhere" hotel or resort that you find as a backup in case BA can't accommodate you when you show up. Know the price of those "elsewhere" accommodations before you arrive so you know what to expect if you have to ditch BA and go to the back-up plan.

Again, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO NEED TO PUT DOWN ANY FORM OF DEPOSIT THESE DAYS UNDER SCREWY REFUNDABLE TERMS! Coz is a ghost town by historical norms as are many tourist destinations. Anywhere you go will have rooms available and will be thrilled to have you stay there.

Deeper Thoughts:

Read my last post. If BA is your #1 choice by all means you should stay there... Just do it under your terms and not theirs with that crazy deposit policy. I say DO NOT put deposit $ down with their screwy refund policy right now. As you look elsewhere, keep your "elsewhere" hotel or resort that you find as a backup in case BA can't accommodate you when you show up. Know the price of those "elsewhere" accommodations before you arrive so you know what to expect if you have to ditch BA and go to the back-up plan.

Again, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO NEED TO PUT DOWN ANY FORM OF DEPOSIT THESE DAYS UNDER SCREWY REFUNDABLE TERMS! Coz is a ghost town by historical norms as are many tourist destinations. Anywhere you go will have rooms available and will be thrilled to have you stay there.
Again with the unsolicited advice. :D

Again with the unsolicited advice. :D

Do you disagree with any of the unsolicited advice I've offered? :confused: Some of the best advice I've received over the years has been unsolicited and while I had my mind made up, I listened to it and sometimes it changed what I was determined to do for the better.

Do you disagree with any of the unsolicited I've offered? :confused:
Since you asked, yes, not that it matters. As long as we know the facts we can make our own decisions without you shouting at us. If it's not what you would do, then that's OK; we're not you.

Dear Deeper Thoughts,

Just so you know, Aldora Divers is currently running 4 divers per boat which is about their break even point and not losing money at a great extent. They have 9 boats and many assets to get them thru any problem. Sept 9 is to open them for 6 divers per boat which will support re growth.

Of course I no longer own any of Aldora Divers but I do own the Villa Aldora. I own the Villa free and clear and could if I wanted to, just shut it down and live there by myself. But there are many people who enjoy the place so I will keep it open for them. And no, we don't take deposits for the Villa and no risk of it is going broke.

Good Luck to you in your quest.

Dave Dillehay
When you do close up the Villa, allow me a long term option on our room :)

Back
Top Bottom