Can you recommend a 5mm suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gNats

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Ladies,

I am planning a dive trip to Bonaire in Janaury and thought a 5mm one piece would be perfect.

I already have a drysuit and a 2pc 7mm. My 7mm is a Henderson Hyperstretch, which I love for its comfort.

The 5mm I am looking to purchase should be:

1) Comfortable. Easy to put on with a silk skin underneath.

2) Racy, sexy, feminine. LOL. Okay, my 7mm is black and boring and I feel like a dirty Michelan man in it. I want something that looks good and is very female looking.

3) Affordable.

#3 is a big one. I will probably only wear the 5mm on warm water dive trips. For really hot temp local diving I have the 7mm and will most likely dive dry year round in Michigan. I don't want to spend a lot of money for something that only gets maybe one use a year.

I'm thinking of a budget < $225. I am 5'2" about 110 lbs. equally proportioned. I would love to buy the Henderson hyperstretch 5mm, but really don't want to spend that kind of money for the limited use.

So, the only brand I am familiar with is Henderson. What other manufacturers should I consider for fit, look, and cost?

I am not sure how cheap they are (got mine in trade) but I love the looks and feel of my waterproof 3 mil (also available in 5 mil). 3 mil has always been comfortable for me in Bonaire and Aruba.

gNATS: I really enjoy my 5-4-3 MARES Womans wesuit Deluxe it goes on easy and is flexible so you dont feel like a board in the water. I use it in Aruba waters and find it adequite for the temps. (ohh and it's 3 toned; so a lil more like a woman) Enjoy Bonaire!

go to leisure pro .com and look at their 5 mm Cressi-sub jumpsuit with plus liner. my buddy just got one and it looks very very nice for $125. I have had cressi sub suits before and they are well made. THis is a clearance price

Henderson Thermoprene, not as stretchy as the hyperstretch but should be in your price range. Plus they come with yellow, pink and i believe purple accents, only reason i know all this is cause i work for a shop that sells henderson.

I am not sure how cheap they are (got mine in trade) but I love the looks and feel of my waterproof 3 mil (also available in 5 mil). 3 mil has always been comfortable for me in Bonaire and Aruba.

I second that - I have the Waterproof 5 mil, and I'm about 5'2" as well. It fits better than most others I've had. If I remember correctly, though, they may be a bit spendy.

The Bare Velocity series includes a 5-4 full suit and I'm fond of mine. The yellow looks kind of nice.

Pete

Henderson Thermoprene, not as stretchy as the hyperstretch but should be in your price range. Plus they come with yellow, pink and i believe purple accents, only reason i know all this is cause i work for a shop that sells henderson.

I recently bought a henderson thermoprene 5 mm from Scuba Toys. Total waste of money! I dove it for 4 days and it was falling appart. Stiching was coming out in multiple places and worst of all, the suit was totally crushed and compressed and wrinkled from a few rec. depth dives.

Worst suit I have ever owned. I refused a replacement and got a refund minus the shipping, which did not make me happy. I've been diving for 35 years,, worthless material. but it was super soft, light and comfortable!

I am 5'2" about 110 lbs. equally proportioned. I would love to buy the Henderson hyperstretch 5mm, but really don't want to spend that kind of money for the limited use.

I am the exact same stats as you and have been looking for a good 5mm for at least a year so I would be extremely happy if you find one that fits!

I've tried on SO many, including the Pinnacle Escape, Camaro Stingray, Aqualung Aquaflex, Cressi-Sub Comfort and most recently, the Mares 5-4-3. While I found most of them to be too tight or stiff and cutting off circulation in size 4 but too large in size 6, the Mares 6 (which is the smallest) is perfect but just too big around the middle.

I currently dive with a Henderson Neoprene 3mm and add a 3mm shorty when I am cold. I would also advise against the Hendersons as they tend to pill up and stretch out in a short time.

Good luck and please PM me if you come across a sleek, sexy, and affordable 5mm!

To the OP, what I would do(& I'm not of the female gender) for affordability is order a 3mm full suit(Evo for example--see link) coupled with a 2 mm chicken vest(Evo also-see link #2)--you have a lot of flexibility there ie can wear one or both together...I'm thinking you're not going to need a full 5 mm there......Just my $.02 worth....btw, I have the 3 mm men's & love the heck out of it---lifetime warranty & for under a hundred bucks you get them both..And for the 'Racy, sexy, feminine' part of you're post, if 'you've got it', shackcloth and ashes will look great--lol.......good luck.....

EVO 3mm Women's Full Scuba Wetsuit

EVO EVO Unisex 2mm Hooded Dive Vest

EDIT: the 2 mm chicken vest is SO flexible also---wear it most of the time over my skins & under my 2mm shorty & am good to go down to ~ 72 degrees---perfect for Gulf/Carribean summer diving when that tongue of cool water comes thru & need a little more than just a shorty...........

Back
Top Bottom