Can you outgrow "dry mouth syndrome" or am I changing breathing technique?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

walkonmars

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks. After reading a few posts and seeing a complaint about "dry mouth syndrome" I realized I don't get this problem often anymore.
When I had under 100 dives, I used to get dry mouth all the time and fussed about it a lot. Some time around the 200 dive range I seemed to have forgotten about dry mouth or it has bothered me less.
I have been running newer generation second stages as oppose to the conshelf 14 and conshelf 21 type seconds I ran years ago.
Do we actually "outgrow" dry mouth?
Are the new regulators to give credit for this?
Is my breathing technique changing somehow that I don't notice? (Am I gulping saliva more often than I realize or pressing my tongue up against my palate more often?)

Various...
Hollis DC3first-212second,
Aqualung Legend, Mikron,
Apeks ATX200,
HOG.

If it's a real issue a sugar free, unless you hate your teeth, hard candy sitting against your check solves this issue. I used to do it but seem to have become self moisturizing. I have on occasion slurped some salt water which has helped. The advertising by SS on the AL comfobite says it reduces dry mouth, not sure I buy it though. Staying hydrated in the first place helps. I own metal regs which people say also reduces dry mouth, can't say I've noticed much difference though. Outgrow it? not sure one does, I think we just develope strategies to better combat it through experience.

Last edited:
regs with heat/moisture retention veins in second stage help reduce drymouth. might also be slower more relaxed breathing...

Oddly mine has gone away too.. I started with the AL Core (with comfobite) and moved on to an Atomic Z2 (with comfobite).. both gave me dry mouth. It seemed to end when I started using an Apeks xtx100.

I've been diving since 1978 and I get dry mouth almost every dive. I pop a candy in my mouth, if I remember, or pull my reg out and gargle the water if it's not too dirty.

Doesn't seem to come around as often but when it does, ditto on pulling reg out and gargling some water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom