Can you make a BP/W into a backpack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Boswell

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
With its shoulder straps and sturdy baseplate, my BP/W makes a nice backpack, and with some minor modifications I could load all my scuba stuff - reg, fins, mask, wetsuit, etc. - on it. Then I could just carry it onto a boat or a plane, and not need a suitcase or duffel bag.

This would be simple to do with some bungie cords, but I'm sure I could make something more useful and secure with a little effort.

I don't want to re-invent the wheel, so it occurs to me that someone here may already have done this, or know of an existing product that does it.

Anyone???

You could always go with the Dive Caddy. DiveCaddy - Home
Those are really really good. They fit into any airplane overhead bin and carry all of your dive gear plus a few days worth of clothes.

I have been thinking about doing this for awhile. It seems that there was somewhere I saw this done but can't remember where.

All it would take is some cordura fabric some zippers and a bungee or two.

If the bag had grommets 11" on center all you would have to do is unbolt the wing, bolt on the bag on throw everything inside and your done.

The one thing I did think of though is some sort of Velcro folding panel on the bottom for the waist strap to secure into. Then you would just have the shoulder straps like a normal backpack.

actually ... thats a good idea... something like a pouch you could pull your straps thru and bag your other stuff... couldn't be worse than all the other stuff on the market we buy and don't need :D

Back
Top Bottom