Can you identify the subject of these pictures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wwkayaker22

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I took the pictures below in a reef off Key Biscayne, FL, USA in about 45 feet of water. I cannot identify what it is and was hoping someone here could do so. Thoughts???

This is what it looked like when I approached it:

This is what it looked like after a few seconds (it closed up):

Then it opened up again:

Holy crap! If I'd seen one of those, I might've just walked back to the boat.

Divers look at them all the time, but it takes a lot of diving to see them.

Very commonly in the Caribbean they look a bit like human hearts. You don't really see them until they sense the vibrations of your approach and pucker-up. You notice the movement.

Tunicates. You can tune a guitar, you can tune a radio, but you can't tune a kit.

Its called a Sarlacc

As we look at sci-fi horror movie images, you have to think- the guy who created this has had some u/w naturalist observation time.

The first time I saw an Octopus in the daylight, the critter from Predator came to mind.

As we look at sci-fi horror movie images, you have to think- the guy who created this has had some u/w naturalist observation time.

The first time I saw an Octopus in the daylight, the critter from Predator came to mind.

Indeed:

Giant Tunicate -- Sarlacc - "Return of the Jedi"
Moray Eel -- Internal Mouth, Alien - "Alien" / "Aliens"
Squid -- Admiral Ackbar - "Return of the Jedi"
Lamprey/Wolf Eel -- Sandworm - "Dune"

Bah, the original didn't have the stupid cartoon beak :p

... and Han shot first.

Back
Top Bottom