Can you I.D. these LPI hose ends?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasteve65

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know these things most likely have official names, but more importantly, I can't remember what they all fit. #4 is a slightly different size that a scubapro connection but definitely not a standard connection. #2 is from and old USD bc that I have somewhere around here. Anyway, if you know what they belong to and maybe a ballpark year of use that would be awesome. Thanks in advance, Stephen.

Attachments

• hoseends.jpg
    hoseends.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 111
#1 is a Sportsways BC inflator about 75.
#2 Aqualung BC inflator about 73-79
#3 ?
#4 Scubapro 79-present

I hope someone identifies 3, I have one but no clue what it fits.

I think I may have one of those (#3) around. If my memory is right, it may be an old SeaQuest. But I'll need to confirm that.

John

The one I have came on an old reg I bought. I have no idea what it fits but not going to trash it...if I do I will need it the day after the trash man comes. :) Still, I do want to know what it fits.

As far as I can tell from the picture, #3 is the very first quick disconnect introduced by Scubapro.

I used it for a while. The tab on the side is what you pressed sideways to disconnect it.

I have a couple of them around and the original inflator that fits it.

The QD adapter was mounted on a standard LP regulator hose. Several other QD adapters that followed also used a standard LP hose.

When that Scubapro QD connection and LP inflator came out I was working at Divers Service Center in Puerto Rico. We were the Scubapro dealer in the San Juan area.

I am surprized that no one else recognized it, but I guess it wasn't around that long... It is just so familiar to me. I guess I am dating myself. :D

Last edited:
I think Luis is right about number 3. My first power inflator used that connection. Sp later modified the quick release to a more modern sliding collar design, but the original looked very much like that one and relied on a spring loaded metal tab to keep the connection closed.

That said, I saw a very similar connection that did not fit my SP inflator and in fact I have a similar connection with a slightly differ sized and shape connection in a box here somewhere and I have no idea what it fits.

That said, I saw a very similar connection that did not fit my SP inflator and in fact I have a similar connection with a slightly differ sized and shape connection in a box here somewhere and I have no idea what it fits.

I agree, if I recall correctly there was another company that copied the first Scubapro QD, but was not interchangeable. I probably never even saw the competition except for maybe an advertisement on Skin Diver magazine.

From the picture I can’t tell for sure if it is the Scubapro or a copy. It looks like the Scubapro, but something about it doesn’t look exactly right.

One interesting point about the quick disconnects and the introduction of the low pressure inflator was that when it was introduced, it was imperative for the quick disconnection to be reliable and very easy to actuate.

In the early 70’s, buoyancy device of choice was the horse collar. The horse collar was intended to stay with the diver at all times, even in an emergency, but a diver had to be able to ditch the tank if needed. To be able to quickly ditch the tank, it required quick release buckles and a quick disconnect on the inflator in order for the inflator to be accepted by the diving community at the time.

I remember some skepticism about the QD actually being safe.

Back
Top Bottom