Can you add a d-ring to a bc without sewing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Aqualung/Seaquest Pacifica BC and the only d-rings are the small plastic ones on the bottom of the left pocket and the top of the right pocket.

I don't want to spend the money and effort sewing on d-rings, because I couldn't do it myself, and paying to have it done would not be cost effective for an "economy" BC.

Is there a way to add d-rings without sewing them on?

Attachments

• SQTPC.jpg
    SQTPC.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 571
Where do you want to put it?

The short answer is yes. The long answer depends on what you want to hang on it.

What do you have in mind?

R..

All you normally need in order to add a d-ring is a small ammount of available webbing. The only place I see webbing in your photo is the adjustment points so it might not be easily doable on that bcd.

paying to have it done would not be cost effective for an "economy" BC.
You might be surprised. There's a tailor shop in the same strip mall as my LDS. I've had him do all kinds of high quality sewing jobs for next to nothing. By next to nothing I mean $7 (for the most recent work he did for me). If you can find a nearby tailor (or shoe repair) shop it might be worth your while to ask what they'd charge to do what you have in mind.

Ideally, I'd like them on the shoulder strap for flashlight(s), camera, etc. I'm a recreational diver, so nothing technical is needed. I find myself snapping them to the end of the shoulder adjustment strap, which is far from ideal and a real pain while gearing up and off. I currently use the one on the bottom left pocket for my SPG and the one on the upper right pocket for a fin/mask carry strap.

---------- Post added July 10th, 2015 at 10:45 AM ----------

do you use a weight belt? If yes, put them on it...

No room on the weight belt, it's the type with weight pouches built in.

If you need reasonably priced and highly competent sewing done on webbing and/or heavy cloth on potentially life saving equipment, you may want to find your closest skydiving drop zone. Most DZ's have certified riggers on premises. They are well equipped and practiced in parachute equipment repairs and modifications, which are inherently similar to work performed on scuba equipment.

You could cut a thin (hacksaw blade thickness) slot in the back (centered) of a SS D-ring and work it onto the webbing slot where the upper part of the Fastex buckle is held if there is enough room for the buckle and the d-ring.

Last edited:
I guess what I was looking for was something like a horizontal velcro loop that would fit around the shoulder strap, with the d-ring hanging down vertically from it. Obviously it wouldn't hold a lot of weight, but I don't need it to.

above or below the QR buckles?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom