CAN you add a backplate to the Dive Rite Transpac XT Harness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe they want a little more tank stability ?

Can you add a STA to a soft backplate ?

I know when I used my Transpac with steel 120 tanks, you could definitely notice the tank shifting. Could be the Dive Rite wings do not have stabilizers. Not a big problem with Al 80, but the steel 120 shifting was noticeable.

Why not? Just mount it with stainless bolts and wing nuts like you would when using an STA on any other harness. It looks in the photos like the holes are in place for that. If the holes don't line up perfectly, take a drill to the plate.

I'd take it in to an LDS who sells plates and attach it in the store to see if it works before buying if it were me. In the photos on the diverite site there is some kind of metal plate bolted onto it. Maybe some kind of butt plate?

The Transpac XT is a harness integrated with a "soft" nylon backplate.
The Transplate harness is available and is a similar arrangement with a metal backplate.
I do not think there is a simple modular solution, but I'm sure you could improvise mounting another backplate to the Transpac XT, but then you would have 2 backplates on your rig.
@DogDiver's question was not impertinent.

I used a Transpac and Zeagle Ranger with light weight doubles for years wreck diving in the Great Lakes. Switched to BPH (highland mill works) when I started using large capacity steel cylinders for cave diving. Finally got smart and changed to a Dive Rite Nomad duel bladder for cave diving side mount.
Dive safe.

I have a Transpac XT at work that's a couple generations older and it has a pouch you can slide the plate into and line it up with the grommet holes. Has to be Dive Rite style plate though.

Not sure on current gens.

I did this exact set up for several years in the beginning when I was single tank diving. I slid the backplate between the outer harness and the back pad on the rig and then just used the bolts through the harness plate and wing to hold it all in place. That was an older harness but I am pretty sure you can do the same with the newer models.

I did this exact set up for several years in the beginning when I was single tank diving. I slid the backplate between the outer harness and the back pad on the rig and then just used the bolts through the harness plate and wing to hold it all in place. That was an older harness but I am pretty sure you can do the same with the newer models.
If the cam bands are still going through the soft backplate only and not the metal plate, will their be any stability improvements ?

If the cam bands are still going through the soft backplate only and not the metal plate, will their be any stability improvements ?

I just had the cam bans go through the soft harness only and had no problems and I was using a steel 150 for single. Had no issues was great for reducing weight on my belt. I would not say it made it more or less stable, but also made it possible to hook doubles to it if so inclined.

Back
Top Bottom