Can XTX50 be easily inspected and cleaned in the field?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apeks face plates are often super super tight.

This is why you see tech divers with a crooked diaphragm cover. It is tightened enough to hold everything in place, yet not so tight it can’t removed.

This is why you see tech divers with a crooked diaphragm cover. It is tightened enough to hold everything in place, yet not so tight it can’t removed.

Yes, I used to do the same. I have little love for Apeks second stages.

There is a super simple solution to that - remove the pin.

I never put the pin back in my own Regs

I don't use the pin either on my G250V or G260

In summary, dive shop owners, tech divers, and equipment technicians advocate removing and discarding a factory-installed part to correct a design problem.

g2:
In summary, dive shop owners, tech divers, and equipment technicians advocate removing and discarding a factory-installed part to correct a design problem.
I won't say as far as such.
I believe the whole idea is to stop (1) over tighten (2) mess around by prying hand.

Why is that?

That was probably a little harsh. The twisting barrel irks me, easily avoided or otherwise. I much prefer the square end design as found on other second stages such as the SP G series. I also don't like the gorilla strength needed or "tool" aide often required to remove the face plate. I do like the Venturi ring and wide exhaust option though.

g2:

I don't think anyone said it's a "design problem". IMO it's just an addition of an unnecessary part that adds nothing of any value/benefit.

The twisting barrel irks me, easily avoided or otherwise. I much prefer the square end design as found on other second stages such as the SP G series. I also don't like the gorilla strength needed or "tool" aide often required to remove the face plate.

The twisting barrel can be irksome. The first Apeks I serviced had a twisted lever due to this issue. That really got my attention. I too prefer the square end design found on the G series.

Just and FYI there is a special tool for removing the face plate cover. Its not required, as others have said and as was shown in the video with the dry glove but I like it and find it fairly handy. Also it has a flow/no flow gauge on it for setting the lever height. Sorry don't know the part AP number but I'm sure buddhasummer can chime in with it, just make sure the get the correct one there is a pre and post 2013 tool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom