Can XTX50 be easily inspected and cleaned in the field?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was probably a little harsh. The twisting barrel irks me, easily avoided or otherwise. I much prefer the square end design as found on other second stages such as the SP G series. I also don't like the gorilla strength needed or "tool" aide often required to remove the face plate. I do like the Venturi ring and wide exhaust option though.

The twisting barrel always reaffirms that selling my Triumph was the right thing to do. They breathe fine though.

g2:
In summary, dive shop owners, tech divers, and equipment technicians advocate removing and discarding a factory-installed part to correct a design problem.

To add:

The G260 is marketed as a Tech regulator, as such the friction ring is attached to faceplate as one unit. This of course enables you to remove face plate underwater very easily as you don't have a seperate friction ring to deal with a la Apeks and others or the need to deal with the tabs on G250/V friction ring. At least though the friction ring on an Apeks is large, easy to hold and has no tabs.

All that being said, I'm guessing SP would have no issue, in fact I bet they recommend removal of face plate pin on the G260 if using for tech diving otherwise why would they have very neatly designed the face plate/friction ring assy they way they have.

On a R195, not marketed as a "tech" reg the friction ring has a tab that slots into the case keeping it in place, now removing that face plate/diaphragm underwater would be quite difficult especially if wearing gloves.

The pin is easily removed by pushing it out from the inside using a brass o ring pick on the R195 and G250V as the face plate has larger cut outs but on the G260 the face plate cut outs are smaller making it quite difficult in comparison to remove the pin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom