Can wetsuits be hemmed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't! I am all over short but tend to have a longer torso than legs (leotards fit me, unitards don't).

Knowing this is just light duty warm water brings up another option. You could consider a Jane and jacket set in 3mm. If you work with someone like NRS you may be able to mix and match the top & bottom.

Pete

Last edited:
I had no idea such options existed. I will have to look into that.

We will be -very- occasional divers, so money is also an issue...

I had no idea such options existed. I will have to look into that.

We will be -very- occasional divers, so money is also an issue...

That's OK for now. Of course eventually I'm going to say that being an active local diver is the way to truly become safe and proficient. Besides Diving is way too cool to only do on vacations and modern exposure protection is amazing stuff. But for now enjoy those vacation trips!

I'm not sure how much local diving there really is. The dive shops website even jokingly says 'the best diving around here is 1200 miles south'

Before sinking a lot of time into making a suit or altering one, never mind custom, it would be good to figure out how much suit you really need. In warm water I've seen people in everything from tshirts to 7mm suits. (The people diving in tshirts or lycra/1mm skins tend to be people from colder climates, or those with extra "bioprene.")

Lycra/1mm suits can be pretty forgiving on fit and they're the easiest to alter, plus fit doesn't matter so much for thermal purposes when you're taking about that range. If you need more insulation the idea of a shorty might be a good one. I think full coverage is a good idea, but you could get that by wearing something like a 3mm shorty over a full skin. Or even a 3mm vest over a skin.

If someone made it.... You can alter it... Add were needed and cut were needed.... IF YOU CAN SEW.....:wink:

Jim..

If someone made it.... You can alter it... Add were needed and cut were needed.... IF YOU CAN SEW.....:wink:

Jim..

haha. I can sew, and I see how this is true, but I guess I'm wondering if there is much more to it than cut and hem. I don't want to get into special seals or probably even zippers. So not worth it.

All seams are usually butt glued so they don't leak like a seive. This is done with wetsuit cement which is essentially contact cement that knows someone.

Pet

If you need to shorten legs (I.E. you are a short for your weight or fat), you can just cut them short. All you really need is to stitch the edge so it does not fray. If you have someone with the proper sewing machine and skill, it will look as good as new. If you DIY and just use a hand needle, it will look like DIY, but function fine. Same for repairs, I have fixed numerous spit seams and such over the years (I grow in width, not height and stress some seams).

haha. I can sew, and I see how this is true, but I guess I'm wondering if there is much more to it than cut and hem. I don't want to get into special seals or probably even zippers. So not worth it.

There are "NO" special seals or seams or zipper attachments... If you're like me, It should be no big deal... Few hours work.... glue and sew... You can put a backing tape at high stress points....

jim...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom