Can virus or bacteria survive a PPO2 over 30?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

or perspective, a typical human cell is 100 microns, bacterial cell is 3 microns, and a virus is .15 microns.

I'm about as far from a microbiologist as can be imaged, but 0.15 microns can still hold a lot of gas molecules that want to separate when the pressure is reduced. Do it fast enough and you have an explosion at any scale.

For other readers, this illustration might be helpful to visualize these microscopic dimensions.
full.png

This illustration can help visualize the relationship between cells and Nitrogen molecules.
full.png

Of course cells aren't perfect spheres but the general relationship applies for this purpose.

@Akimbo, thanks, very cool visualization. In order for bubbles to form, we need nuclei to precipitate their formation (in theory). But, I would agree that (even in the absence of nuclei) a rapid drop in pressure (roughly 24 fold) would indeed force gas molecules apart. Perhaps it's possible that this gas expansion could pass through the protein envelope without lysing it. At that kind of pressure drop, I wouldn't think so, but again, I really don't know.

Again, my guess is that the oxidative environment would be do a lot of detriment prior to decompression.

Like someone said sometime, if I were out of gas, I'd suck a donkey's behind if I thought it'd give me the gas I needed to survive.

I am so stealing this!!!
:rofl3:

Then use the 2010 original.

Frankly, I'd suck a fart out of a donkey's ass if that's what it took to make it to the surface alive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

From the thread "S Drill Etiquette", where they were also discussing catching something off a reg. I've always liked the phrase.

I'm a KISS kinda guy. Gas? Go for it, no matter how. No gas? Get the eff out of Dodge one way or another.

Not sure if bringing a donkey on every dive and keeping it alive just in case is really considered KISS. I can imagine there are simpler solutions ;-)

From the thread "S Drill Etiquette", where they were also discussing catching something off a reg. I've always liked the phrase.
Thanks for reminding me of who it was that said that, and apologies for not attributing the quote properly.

Not sure if bringing a donkey on every dive and keeping it alive just in case is really considered KISS. I can imagine there are simpler solutions ;-)
I'm not bringing a donkey. But if you are, if there's a chance that I could suck a fart out of its arse, and if other gas sources were unavailable...

Thanks for reminding me of who it was that said that, and apologies for not attributing the quote properly.

No worries. I was so struck with the humor and honesty of the phrase it stuck with me. Most members weren't on the board, or not interested in the thread at the time and have only heard it second hand. I'm just adding information to the conversation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom