Can virus or bacteria survive a PPO2 over 30?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for decompression, it seems quite likely that bacterial cells would undergo explosive decompression. I wonder about viruses though. A typical bacterial cell is in the range of 2-5 microns long. A corona virus is in the range of 0.125 microns. I wonder if this size would render it too small for bubble development?

Maybe, but that is still nearly unimaginably larger than Nitrogen and Oxygen molecules. I can design a pressure vessel with a tiny port for a microscope if anyone can get a grant. :)

True, unless you suffer from isolation-induced intellectual curiosity. :)

We were recently discussing the physics of long-lamented beer bong festivities and college-borne inner ear games, where:

Δy = v0 sinθ t – 1/2gt2²

Where y = -1.0 m, v0 is initial velocity; v0sinθ is the initial velocity component in the vertical, θ is the initial, eh, 30 degree angle of launch, g is the acceleration due to gravity (-9.8m/s2²) and t is the period of travel.

Ahhh, the covidiocy . . .

Maybe, but that is still nearly unimaginably larger than Nitrogen and Oxygen molecules. I can design a pressure vessel with a tiny port for a microscope if anyone can get a grant. :)

Indeed it is, but the nuclei or nanobubbles required for bubble formation are probably half the size, or more, of the virus itself. Of course there is still a lot we don't understand about this, but it's fun to think about. I'd love to see the pressure vessel! :wink:

Gas Micronuclei That Underlie Decompression Bubbles and Decompression Sickness Have Not Been Identified - PubMed

Indeed it is, but the nuclei or nanobubbles required for bubble formation are probably half the size, or more, of the virus itself. Of course there is still a lot we don't understand about this, but it's fun to think about. I'd love to see the pressure vessel! :wink:

Gas Micronuclei That Underlie Decompression Bubbles and Decompression Sickness Have Not Been Identified - PubMed

I doubt that bubble formation is a factor. The effect of explosive decompression is just that, explosive. Hyperbaric docs have used terms like hamburger and gruesome to describe the victims of pressure vessel failures during sat dives. Thankfully I've never seen it. Space between molecules relative to pressure is a constant.

Like someone said sometime, if I were out of gas, I'd suck a donkey's behind if I thought it'd give me the gas I needed to survive.
Depends on how deep I am and how close to NDL. Could be I would make an attempt at CESA first :)

Depends on how deep I am and how close to NDL. Could be I would make an attempt at CESA first :)
I'm a KISS kinda guy. Gas? Go for it, no matter how. No gas? Get the eff out of Dodge one way or another.

I doubt that bubble formation is a factor. The effect of explosive decompression is just that, explosive. Hyperbaric docs have used terms like hamburger and gruesome to describe the victims of pressure vessel failures during sat dives. Thankfully I've never seen it. Space between molecules relative to pressure is a constant.

When we talk about tissues in multicellular beings, or even single cellular, the physics can start to be very different relative to things (viruses) that are barely bigger than bubble nucleation substrates. For perspective, a typical human cell is 100 microns, bacterial cell is 3 microns, and a virus is .15 microns. But indeed, I'm speculating. As I mentioned before, I would expect that the high oxidative environment would be at least as detrimental to bacteria and viruses prior to decompression.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom