Can the Teric auto-turn on with wrist movement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nicool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi everyone,
I've recently bought a Shearwater Teric dive computer, which is also my first digital watch (I am old school...).
One thing annoys me when I wear it as a watch: I have to press one of the 4 buttons whenever I want to check what time is it.

My wife has a fitness watch 4 times cheaper that would automatically turn-on whenever she flips her wrist, so I was hoping the Teric would do the same, but I couldn't figure it out, the manual only refers to auto-turn on in the context of diving.

Anyone knows?

cheers
Nicolas

No, Shearwater never built that feature into the Teric. It has the sensors capable of doing it, so it could be added as a firmware update if enough people ask for it.

How old is your school, fifty years ago the digital watch was something to behold

There was a particular wrist action in those days, used to wind automatic watches

hehe
No, Shearwater never built that feature into the Teric. It has the sensors capable of doing it, so it could be added as a firmware update if enough people ask for it.
Great, I'll reach out to them, will share what they say.

How old is your school, fifty years ago the digital watch was something to behold

There was a particular wrist action in those days, used to wind automatic watches
Hehe although I am nerdy and definitely a victim of tech stuff marketing, these just don't beat the elegance of a traditional watch.
But, when I am on a few days dive trip it would be much convenient to use the Teric as my main watch for sure.

The Teric has one primary function - as a dive computer. According to what I’ve read, half of them do that well out of the box, and the other half do also after the obligatory repair shop visit. All those other features like alarms and motion back lights are unwanted fluff according to the more vocal of the tech crowd. :poke:

Those wanting a full featured multi sport smart dive watch may want to look at the Garmin. The motion activated backlight is feature I enjoy on mine.

According to what I've heard, there was a problem with a batch of batteries in an early production series. That's all. If you feel a poll on this forum that was created at that time and has not been updated since, is relevant, well... 113 claims and thousands, probably tens of thousands of Terics sold.

So, I feel that your post that half of the Terics has to be send in for repair is just made to have a better feeling about your Garmin. Different dive computers exist for a reason. Enjoy yours.

According to what I've heard, there was a problem with a batch of batteries in an early production series. That's all. If you feel a poll on this forum that was created at that time and has not been updated since, is relevant, well... 113 claims and thousands, probably tens of thousands of Terics sold.

So, I feel that your post that half of the Terics has to be send in for repair is just made to have a better feeling about your Garmin. Different dive computers exist for a reason. Enjoy yours.
The recently and regularly updated post on the Teric issues has made it very difficult to purchase. Waiting on perdix AI to come back into stock. If the Teric issues didn’t seem to be ongoing I would have already ordered one.

There are issues with every electronic device on the market. I know quiet some people with a Teric, none of them have problems. And none of them feels the need to register on this forum to let everybody know. Which would maybe be different if they had issues.

The only way to know if this computer is prone to problems is randomly choose a few 100 owners and ask if they have had problems, and compare this to the problems of a few hundred Garmins, bought around the same time.

Just buy the computer that fits your needs. If that's a Perdix or a Garmin, fine.

Oh, and the Teric features all sorts of fluff like alarms. I bought mine because I could see the depth and time better on the screen of my buddy 3 meters away than on my own computer. These things do not need backlights.

Back
Top Bottom