Can the DUI zipper be fixed without having to replace it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get your $400 back, add that to the money not spent replacing the zipper and leak chasing, buy a Seaskin

Exactly this.

DW

First pic is normal but long since worn out. Second pic, zipper isn’t fully closed probably due to a bunch of the fuzz and delaminated rubber caught in the slider.

Where did you get the suit and how much did you pay? If it was stated as working condition, you were misled. It’s pretty easy to tell just by looking if the zipper is bad. Don’t buy one with fuzz unless you factor in the replacement cost.

On another note, the 50/50 is a great suit. The DUI suits of this era can last just about forever if taken care of. Very well made. I’ve replaced many of these zippers and found the suits to be quite durable. Just remember, the zippers are consumable and can only be opened and closed a limited number of times. Roughly 200-500 dives depending on what care you take.

Look at DRIS replacement cost on their website.
So I got a quote from DUI. they said the zipper and wrist seal cuffs need to be replaced and they are also fixing some abrasions on the booties and crotch strap as well as fixing a stitch. They said it would be about $450 to fix, I contacted my buddy and he gave me a full refund of the $400 I paid for the suit. So now my only out of pocket expense is fixing it which i am truley grateful for! The suit is a little big on me the cuffs come a tad past my wrist bones is that still okay? It seem like a lot of ppl are saying DUI stuff is trash these days. is a DUI 50/50 for $500 fully refurbished still a good deal?

So I got a quote from DUI. they said the zipper and wrist seal cuffs need to be replaced and they are also fixing some abrasions on the booties and crotch strap as well as fixing a stitch. They said it would be about $450 to fix, I contacted my buddy and he gave me a full refund of the $400 I paid for the suit. So now my only out of pocket expense is fixing it which i am truley grateful for! The suit is a little big on me the cuffs come a tad past my wrist bones is that still okay? It seem like a lot of ppl are saying DUI stuff is trash these days. is a DUI 50/50 for $500 fully refurbished still a good deal?
Good enough deal for $500 total.

Terrible deal, yea - DUI from that age is junk. No worries though, send it to me and I will recycle for you at no charge.

Cuffs sound fine just a hair long.

For cold water, the 50/50 is their second best suit, only behind the CF series unless you are taking it on the airlines. My CF-200 weighs over 15lbs wet, but amazingly comfortable and durable with the compressed neoprene.

I don't understand. Your buddy refunded the $400 he charged you for the suit? And he let you keep the suit, too?

If you still haven't made a decision about returning this suit to your buddy, then my opinion (for what it's worth) is, make sure whatever drysuit you purchase is a drysuit that fits you. You don't need to deal with a suit that traps air anywhere, or will lengthen beyond your wrists or ankles, or limits your ability to reach your valves, or bunches up too much in the crotch area, or doesn't fit in the feet.

Don't go cheap on your 'suit. I bought my drysuit (CF200SP, a custom DUI) in 1993. I sent it to DUI ca. 2000 to replace the zipper, install an outer zipper, and install pockets. They did a leak test, and resealed the seams, too. I was extremely pleased with their work. I still have the suit, but I last dove it a few years ago for a winter cleanup of the spring run of a local spring (Bennett Spring, MO). Point is, a quality suit will last a very long time, but it won't be cheap. "Buy once, cry once." Or, "Buy used once and pay for repairs, and cry once."

Good luck.

ETA: Here's a pic taken this past Dec when I was airing out my suit (which I do periodically).

rx7diver

DUI_Goodness_20201211.jpeg

I would get is fixed and dive it. You aren't going to find anything less than this

Thats what I intend to do! I am excited about it, I think it will be like a brand new suit! I heard the DUI stuff these days isn't nearly as good as these older ones. I am still looking for a cheep converse or something that i can use as shoes, although my fins are regulars and I really dont want to buy new ones.

Back
Top Bottom