Can the DUI zipper be fixed without having to replace it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seville

Contributor
Reaction score
I just bought a DUI 50-50 dry suit. Looking at the second zipper I am a little concerned. It looks like some of the fuzz is getting stuck in the zipper. Is this something that can be cut off? I really do not want to pay for a whole new zipper to go on.

I noticed that the dry suit also has zip seals. Unfortunately these are the ones from 15 years ago. They have two ridges instead of one ridge. Does anyone know if they sell replacement wrist seals?

Attachments

• F0B509DC-D4EF-4994-8C59-2ED63F688896.jpeg
    F0B509DC-D4EF-4994-8C59-2ED63F688896.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 23ACC894-135F-4FCE-9BED-9E72C63C0190.jpeg
    23ACC894-135F-4FCE-9BED-9E72C63C0190.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 181
  • 6B828590-EDE3-4D18-AEBB-1E8C66EE95E7.jpeg
    6B828590-EDE3-4D18-AEBB-1E8C66EE95E7.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 841F1CFB-0A69-4CF9-9329-5147ECB7A663.jpeg
    841F1CFB-0A69-4CF9-9329-5147ECB7A663.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 144
Trim fuzz only with scissors and then seal entire length with lighter

Lighter trick works well. As far as the zip seals. I see nothing wrong. There isn't a difference in wrist seals like the g1 and g2 neck. Purchase any set of zip wrist seals and plop them in.

Good luck

Define "service"
If you mean shave the fuzz and a pass of the lighter. That is not a DUI service. Do it yourself.
If you mean service as in cutting the old zipper out and putting a new one in, hundreds of dollars of work, send that to DUI.

In short, clean the fuzz and go dive it. No leak, you are good to keep using it. Leaks, time to send it in.

That zipper has significant delamination of the outer rubber layer, see the areas outlined in red. Going to leak badly. Replacement will cost $350+. The first and second generation wrist zip seals work together sometimes and other times they don’t fit well and leak - that’s my experience anyway.
While the fuzz can be trimmed, the zipper is going to be done pretty soon when it’s this bad, even if it’s not leaking already.

00581C44-A59F-494B-A7A9-ADB7E7E620F1.jpeg

That zipper has significant delamination of the outer rubber layer, see the areas outlined in red. Going to leak badly. Replacement will cost $350+. The first and second generation wrist zip seals work together sometimes and other times they don’t fit well and leak - that’s my experience anyway.
While the fuzz can be trimmed, the zipper is going to be done pretty soon when it’s this bad, even if it’s not leaking already.

View attachment 667739
I was curious if I had someone work on it they could reseal the zipper (with aquaseal or something) and cut and burn off the fuzzys. I was hoping to do that until I save up some money to get the zipper fully replaced. If I put aquaseal on the zipper part where it is cracking will that ruin it to the point that the zipper cannot be replaced at the factory?

The wrist seal cuffs still look okay to me, do I have to change them out the the gen 2 models or can i still find the 1st gen ones?

Zipper can’t be saved with aquaseal, but won’t do any harm trying. Once the delamination starts, the rubber will continue flaking off. Use either generation of seals if that’s what you can find, but I would try to match the version on your suit if possible.

Is there suppose to be a small gap by the zipper when it is all the way zipped up? Also, is it normal for the rubber seal to be zipped up and showing out of the zipper? I called DUI, they said the price for a replacement zipper was $384 with a diagnostic fee of $100 but their backlog is 6-8 weeks. There is another guy who used to work for DUI and works out of his house and he charges $350 for the zipper repair and $60 for the diagnosis and he can do it in about a week. I know going through DUI would be the best but i don't want to wait to us my drysuit for the first time lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom