Can someone look over my numbers for cost of consumables on KISS mCCR and SCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're getting less than $10 per hour on CCR does that mean you're getting your sorb for way cheaper than what I calculated from dive express?

Yes, $200 is incredibly high. Find a shop that buys it by the pallet so your not paying shipping. Figure it'll last you about 40-45 hours.

For your math, unless you're in really cold water, figure an hour per pound. Also, figure consuming 1 liter/minute oxygen. Start using liters instead of cubic feet. The math is way easier. So if you are using a 2l bottle filled to 200bar, you have 400 minutes of oxygen. Most rebreather places I've frequented charge a minimum fill for a small CCR bottle. Say $6

How many dives can you do in 300 minutes? And you’ll use WAY less Dil as you master the CCR.

And does SCR gas usage vary a lot with depth like it does on OC?

Why are you considering SCR? Just curious, but you’re contemplating neutering yourself before you even get started? If the enormous cost of getting into rebreathers was only a 2.5x extension, what would be the point. I wouldn’t even give it a consideration at all.

An SCR is going to cost you more. You will try it, not like it, get frustrated by it, and dump it. Maybe you upgrade to the CCR or go back to OC. Either way, it's a detour that you don't need to take.

I highly recommend the Spirt LTE CCR. It's incredible to dive and one of the best designed and reliable units on the market. You'll also get a very comfortable 3 hours at 45F with room to spare, and up to 4 in warmer water.

An SCR is going to cost you more. You will try it, not like it, get frustrated by it, and dump it. Maybe you upgrade to the CCR or go back to OC. Either way, it's a detour that you don't need to take.

I highly recommend the Spirt LTE CCR. It's incredible to dive and one of the best designed and reliable units on the market. You'll also get a very comfortable 3 hours at 45F with room to spare, and up to 4 in warmer water.

Agree.

My buddy has that Kiss. I thought it was about a 5lb scrubber. He's diving his a lot longer than 4 hours. I typically dive an hour per pound.

And does SCR gas usage vary a lot with depth like it does on OC?

With SCR there are bubbles escaping every so often as the excess gas needs to escape. At depth those bubbles contain more gas so, yes, SCR will use more gas with depth. I doubt it scales the same as OC but there is a definite increase in gas use with increase in ATA.

@fuzzybabybunny
SCR, the gas extension is the gas extension. I.e. if the unit is set up for 3:1 *which the KISS is*, you will use that much less gas regardless of depth. I.e. if your SAC rate is .5cfm, at 66ft you will use 1.5cfm on OC and .5cfm on the SCR. The higher the ratio, the lower the fO2 during inspiration but the longer the duration. You say you're getting 45mins on an al80, so you'd need 4 of them to get to a full scrubber
6lbs of Scrubber at $20, 4x $12 nitrox fill=$48, and essentially no maintenance items since you don't need cells, so $70 ish/scrubber. No makey sensey when 8x al80's is $96 because the cost of the unit will never work out. If however you actually need to stay down for 4-6 hours at a time, then it may well start making sense when you can do one long dive vs. multiple short dives.

General rules as outlined above for consumption are 1lpm *2cf/hr* for O2, 1lpm for Dil, and 1lb/hr of sorb which accounts for the unused sorb as well though the dual scrubbers in the spirit do allow for total usage of the first scrubber.
So a total scrubber costs you 6lbs@$20, 6cf of O2, but call it 10 with flushes, so $5 of O2, and call dil free since it's pretty irrelevant and there's some buffer in the O2. So $25 for 6 hours, not including cells and other maintenance items which probably bring it to $35/scrubber or $6/hour for whole numbers. Much more sense, but again even saving that $10/hr compared to OC takes a LOT of hours to recover those costs and unless you're needing to do long dives, it doesn't really make sense.

He's not going to buy an RB80 lol

He's not going to buy an RB80 lol
well-then-you-are-lost.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom