• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Would like a high level overview of CCR costs, weights, and packability for travel.

Discussion in 'Rebreather Diving' started by fuzzybabybunny, Jul 31, 2018.

1. PfcAJ

PfcAJ Orca

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    I don’t think you need to travel with a full keg. One fill in the breather and one in a sealed container will probably last a whole trip.

2. tbone1004

tbone1004 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    but then you have to unpack it and I'm far too lazy for that

3. KevinNM

KevinNM DIR Practitioner

Could you use the 90%-95% O2 that a decent oxygen concentrator produces as the fill for your O2 cylinder?

You'd need a haskel or something too, I guess.

4. runsongas

runsongas Great White

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    psa leaves too much argon without an additional filtration stack which adds cost and takes up more space. not really portable.

5. KevinNM

KevinNM DIR Practitioner

Yeah, I see what you mean, the 4% of Argon typical in 95% O2 from a concentrator might be a problem given that Argon is fairly narcotic. But only about 50-70% more than N2, so off the top of my head I don't see it as a huge deal for people who are not planning 80m+ dives. But I could well be wrong.

How would you filter out argon? The only way of producing it I know of involves multiple column cryo distillation (like a big 'Air Gas' or Praxair plant) due to it being totally non-reactive and having a boiling point only 2K less than Oxygen.

6. runsongas

runsongas Great White

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    builds up in the loop over time forcing flushes which starts putting you in scr vs ccr mode.

there are zeolites with oxygen vs argon selectivity that can be used.

7. kensuf

kensuf Cave Instructor

Before anyone thinks it may be a good idea, I want to mention that filling empty 2L soda bottles with sorb is stupid. The acid left in the bottle could potentially react with the sorb, reducing it's ability to function effectively.

8. Exigent

Exigent Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24
  9. joshk

joshk Barracuda

Empty being without tanks and sorb? It's lighter than that I think, I'd estimate 15-20lbs but I could be off.

Was this idea pitched somewhere? :confused:

10. tbone1004

tbone1004 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    I have an invacare homefill in my garage that I use to PSA what we call "argox" and it compresses to 2200psi comfortably. Super slow, ~.05cfm, but it works. The military uses PSA all the time in remote locations, just have to dil flush to prevent argon buildup. Someone a while back ran the math and it's something like a dil flush every 15-20 minutes give or take.

@joshk just checked, the sidemount "ready to dive" is 30lbs, so the 40lbs must be the shipping weight that they quoted which sounds like it has the bp/w, regulators, etc.