Would like a high level overview of CCR costs, weights, and packability for travel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beware of hunting, it is illegal to spearfish on rebreathers in most parts of the world.

There is no issue with hunting in international waters on CCR. And on the Atlantic coast of Florida that's not far out at all.

Yes it does, if you're not counting the initial investment.

Last year, I posted the numbers both ways. At full retail, including sorb sensors oxygen and air it cost just under $9/hour assuming 300 hours per year.

Retail cost of a nitrox fill in central Florida is $10-15. That's going to last most rec divers an hour.

So after shelling out $6-10k in a unit and training you can then pay $9 an hour to dive versus $10 an hour for a nitrox fill.

Yup! That's a bargain!

true, 12 miles isn't that far out, but you still have to go 12 miles out. Important to note

There's no fish inside 25 miles at Daytona

So after shelling out $6-10k in a unit and training you can then pay $9 an hour to dive versus $10 an hour for a nitrox fill.

Yup! That's a bargain!

Ken, start using your brain man. No one is diving CCR for the money. It's just a better way to dive. You either get it or you don't. You can buy a used ccr for the same cost as oc cave gear if you were so inclined. That's why we omitted the initial investment. Apples to apples after whatever gear you purchased, it's cheaper to dive CCR. And that's the question he asked.

His question is regarding costs of operation and ownership. That $6-10k initial investment should be factored into the equation.

For the stuff I enjoy doing, CCR is a great tool, but the value is NOT in saving money or reducing weight.

His question is regarding costs of operation and ownership. That $6-10k initial investment should be factored into the equation.

For the stuff I enjoy doing, CCR is a great tool, but the value is NOT in saving money or reducing weight.

Agreed for 130' ndl dives, why bother. But why bother doing that dive in any gear, lol

Yes it does, if you're not counting the initial investment.

Last year, I posted the numbers both ways. At full retail, including sorb sensors oxygen and air it cost just under $9/hour assuming 300 hours per year.

Retail cost of a nitrox fill in central Florida is $10-15. That's going to last most rec divers an hour.
It does if you simply IGNORE THE MOST EXPENSIVE PART.

Driving a car is cheaper than riding a bike too if you don't count the cost of the car, fuel, and maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom