Can someone identify this strange inflator hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Flow QD? Is it Dive Buddy compatible? :)

Used on dry suits and Air-2.

Seemed pretty clear to me.

R..

Apeks still supply CEJN drysuit inflators.

I ordered one this week for a customer's suit and they sent a CEJN, much to my annoyance.

It's an Apeks drysuit hose.

I think the new Apeks valves use a standard inflator but for a while they were using these hoses because of the higher flow rate. The over sized flanges are so you can (dis)connect it easily with clumsy gloves on.

The Air2 used to use an oversized hose like this too because the flow rate was higher and they must have figured that it would make it easier to breathe from.

R..

Yes, right, this style are more common in Europe.

Yes, right, this style are more common in Europe.
Really? Why I have I never seen one?

Consider what it is attached to... a Hookah system. So I think it is safe to assume it is likely a QD for a breathing apparatus. There are about four different QD connections commonly used for breathing apparatus out there (the standard LP inflator QD does not allow adequate flow for breathing... you can do it, but if stress is high and breathing is heavy, it's like sucking jello through a cocktail straw). This one looks EXACTLY like the QD I use with my full face mask.

It is true that many dry suit manufacturers use a variation of those fittings for their dry suits, but they generally have a built in flow restriction on one side of the fitting or the other. You don't want a high flow fitting on your suit if the inflator valve freezes open. It is also a lot easier to control the amount of air you put in your suit with a low flow hose/QD. I think the stated reason they use these alternate QDs is so people don't accidentally plug the suit into the short LP hose and the LP BCD inflator into the drysuit hose. I personally think the reason they do it is so they can charge you an arm and a leg for replacement/extra hoses (anyone remember the Viking Valve shaped like a cube from the late 80s, early 90s? I had the square plastic "button" break off mine after a couple years).

So, I think there are probably some dry suits that the OP's fitting would connect to, but I think it was intended to be a QD fitting for a FFM or reg. Like I said, it looks identical to mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom