Can someone explain regs to me, in laymans terms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AngryEchoSix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'll start off by admitting that I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to all the gear related to scuba diving, but I'd like to learn more so that I can avoid falling into the salesman's trap and end up spending more of my precious money than I need to on a piece of gear that I will probably never bring anywhere near it's limits. Like regs for example. I have been trying to do some research on my own, but it all seems to be in super technical, get you lost in the sauce jargon.

Can someone lay it all out for me in easy to understand terms? That way I can buy a reg that will suit me not only for the time being, but possibly for where I'd like to be at in my diving ability in a few years. I would greatly appreciate it.

-AngryEchoSix

Cave Diver - Thanks for the links, that put A LOT into perspective for me. Right now, I'm still in the process of getting my basic SCUBA Diver cert through NAUI here in Okinawa, so it'll be 60ft or less for a while, then on to Advanced. From there I'm not sure yet, but some of the tech diving sounds very interesting, so in a few years; I might be doing some of that. Looks like I'll be leaning more towards a mid level tech oriented regulator. Thanks for the info!

Here's a couple of regs that will still be relevant to you in 20 years time no matter what you intend to do.
Scubapro MK25 G250
Apeks DST XTX50
Scubapro MK2

Right now I've been hearing/reading a lot of good things about the HOGs, and as for the price point, they are extremely hard to beat. Especially when you collect an enlisted Marine's paycheck!

I'll start off by admitting that I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to all the gear related to scuba diving, but I'd like to learn more so that I can avoid falling into the salesman's trap and end up spending more of my precious money than I need to on a piece of gear that I will probably never bring anywhere near it's limits. Like regs for example. I have been trying to do some research on my own, but it all seems to be in super technical, get you lost in the sauce jargon.

Considering where you live, you'll probably want to limit your selection to regs that you can get serviced locally. They need service every year or two (or when they need it) and it's really annoying and expensive to have to send them International UPS every time you need service.

If you're looking to save money, see if your friends have any relatives that stopped diving. You can sometimes pick up a great, lightly used regulator for not much money this way.

flots.

Flots - That's another thing that is appealing to me about the HOG regs, is the end user serviceability of them. By trade, I am a Communications Maintenance Technician, so working with intricate things with finite tolerances isn't a big deal to me, it's part of my everyday. That also opens up the possibility of being able to service my own regs if my next duty station doesn't have a LDS that services them.

Hi AngryE6,

If you are considering working on your own regulators, I recommend these two books:
Vince Harlow's SCUBA Regulator Maintenance and Repair by Airspeed Publications
and Regulator Savvy from scubatools.com

The Harlow book has an excellent section on how regulators work, both diaphragm and both types of piston regs, as well as 2nd stages. It's worth buying before you buy anything else. Since you are already leaning towards self servicing, I would highly encourage you to get this book and learn what you need to service your own regulators. Self regulator service is the best scuba-related decision I've ever made.

You should buy a regulator for which you can easily find parts and service literature. In the U.S. that's not easy due to the insane and probably illegal policy of restricting parts sales. Eventually this idiocy will crumble, but I digress....

In Japan, maybe you can buy parts for any regulator. In general it seems to be pretty easy to find scubapro parts and schematics from a variety of sources; it's just that there are so many older SP regs in service. The HOG situation is unusual; you can freely buy parts and service literature, but not until you've taken their course on regulator service. You need some sort of technical diving certification to do that. Another issue with HOG regs is that they are currently only offered in DIN. If you usually dive yoke tanks, don't buy a DIN reg. It's one of the few real mistakes you can make in reg purchasing. If you buy a HOG, you might end up ordering parts from the U.S. after taking a course that's probably only offered in the U.S....

Hopefully, in Japan the policy of buying parts is more like that in Europe; you just walk into a dealer and they sell you the part you need.

I just sent a set of HOG's to Australia along with service kits. There is also a set in Okinawa unless the guy has shipped out. Haven't heard from him in a while. If you are techincally minded and skilled, reg service is not that difficult. What can be difficult with some brands, even major ones, is getting parts to do them yourself along with support from the mfg. HOG offers that. There are a few pre requisites for the training course but they are not outrageous and links to the schematics can be found here on the board. They are one of the brands that recommends a two year rebuild interval as opposed to one. There is a recommended annual inspection but it is recommended. When I do one I adjust the IP and cracking pressures if necessary, replace the HP spool orings, give it a good cleaning that does not require a complete tear down of the stages, and replace any worn o-rings.

As for sending away for annual service the biggest investment there is time. Since you're in the military as most of my overseas customers are international UPS is waste of money. Shipping to an APO/FPO is the same as shipping across town and it can be tracked (to Okinawa about $15 plus 8 for insurance). The reg I sent to Australia took 6 days to get there and an additional day going thru customs. Not bad as that was not a military member.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about them and how to get it to you.

Regardless of what reg you go for there are a few things I consider essential for my own personal satisifaction. First I like an adjustable second stage. Second I prefer a first stage that is balanced and sealed against the environment. Commonly called by some a cold water reg, the features that make it suitable for cold water also make it great for diving in saltwater, silty or sandy conditions, or those with lots of dense vegetation, algae, duckweed, etc. Also makes them easier to rinse and take care of. I also want regs that I don't need tools to take the second stage cover off. Makes it easier for minor field repairs like a folded exhaust diapghragm or one that's gotten something in it.

I like bigger second stages since I often dive with heavy gloves and they just feel more secure. I like regs that I can service myself and get parts for. You can get parts for many regs but some you have know the secret handshake, password, take a vow of secrecy, and swear that you did not get them from who you got them from. Bull. I like regs I can go to a dealer and say hey, I need second stage and first stage kits and they say ok and sell them to me.

I also want regs that I can afford and are worth what they cost. I do not want to pay for a name, flashy advertising, gimmicks, or cosmetics. I don't care about gold trim. I want a reg that works, is a proven design, and is reliable. I want good support from the mfg and be able to talk to someone there when I have a problem. Not get told go to your nearest LDS and ask them. Ever think that the reason I'm calling the mfg is cause the LDs will not or cannot address my issue? Or because they have shown that they cannot be trusted, talked me into something I don't need, could not really afford, or perhaps I just don't like them? It's why I bought HOG's long before I started selling them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom