Can someone explain DIR to me in one paragraph or less?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score

Not wanting this discussion to get all drawn out on the
exact way of doing things, but wanting to know the idea
behind DIR and the benifits of it.

-Mike

One paragraph??!!! Not bloody likely!!! But all kidding aside, I doubt one paragraph would be sufficient.

Well, lessee... if I can remember the essentials of what I wrote several years ago....
Nah, too hard.
Here's George Irvine's classic piece on the subject.
Rick

I am in no way qualified to explain it, but just wanted to suggest that you might want to start with the sticky at the top called "What is DIR?" Then ask questions on the items you don't understand.
HTH,
Jason

mike_s:

Not wanting this discussion to get all drawn out on the
exact way of doing things, but wanting to know the idea
behind DIR and the benifits of it.

-Mike
A set of policies and procedure's, supported by a specific equipment configuration, to help safely conduct a dive objective.

JeffG:
A set of policies and procedure's, supported by a specific equipment configuration, to help safely conduct a dive objective.
Jeff is pretty succinct, and usually dead-on, but I think there is a bit more to the explanation.

"Policies and procedures" suggest a comprehensive and cohesive set of written guidance that covers all possibilities. But, there is a large universe of possibilities...

DIR is more of a paradigm or perspective than a set of hard, defined policies and procedures. It is a way of thinking about diving that purports to be effective for all (non-commercial) diving, globally. There are certainly performance requirements and equipment specifications that define DIR as well - e.g. "in the absence of <fill in the blank: level trim, only 5 D-rings, etc.> it isn't DIR".

But rather than a set of specific written guidance that purports to be effective for every dive environment under ALL circumstances, its more of a team-oriented, holistic philosophical approach to diving - requirements to keep fit and work on endurance; requirements to consider diet and exercise; requirements to 'think situations all the way through' in terms of dive planning and identifying resource requirements in terms of people, training, equipment, as well as mindset. It offers numerous principles that apply more broadly to how divers should approach their diving: e.g. "if you don't need it, don't take it" (on any specific dive); or "we use specific defined gasses because it keeps logistics more efficient, provides for redundancy across the team, and ensures all team members run the same deco schedule".

People focus on the equipment because thats most tangible; but DIR-at-large is not about equipment or how to perform an S-Drill. It is more ambiguous than that, because the universe of environments to which it (claims to apply) is so broad. Its overall goal is to make diving safer and more enjoyable.

FWIW. YMMV.

Doc Intrepid:
Jeff is pretty succinct, and usually dead-on, but I think there is a bit more to the explanation.
He gave me one paragraph and I did it in one sentence....I thought I was doing pretty good :D

JeffG:
He gave me one paragraph and I did it in one sentence....I thought I was doing pretty good :D

I will second that motion! :D

A very specific set of gear and skills, created mostly by George Irvine and Jarrod Jablonski of the WKPP (a big cave diving project in Florida), whose idea is to be the best, most efficient, safest possible method of diving. It is very tech-oriented, yet suitable for all recreational divers, and includes backplates with wings instead of traditional BCs and a 7' primary regulator hose with a backup bungeed on a short hose around the neck. Donating the primary regulator in an OOA emergency, not using traditional BC's, and a very strong team-oriented concept are central to the system and this, coupled with its extreme rigidity in terms of gear choices and procedures, make it a somewhat large target in the community by those who feel offended that they're being told they're doing it wrong.

There. one paragraph.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom