Can someone explain DIR to me in one paragraph or less?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EIGHTWGT:
DIR diving ;

An aproach to diving where equipment, team effort,physical and mental effort are fine tuned to lesson inherant dangers of the dive, while increasing situational awareness, decreasing stress, while making diving more enjoyable through knowledge,planning, and experiance.

Hows that ?
I liked mine better :wink:

Kim:
Actually Jeff - I thought that yours was excellent!
Ah...Thanks (Now I'm blushing)...I will have to go troll a few threads to get the stink of a good post off me.

I dunno my sig line is DIR, and only two words.

DIR is an attitude about diving that starts with safety.
That means being prepared for the worst; knowing when to dive and when not, diving with a qualified buddy, having your gear set up in the most efficient way, having a solution to every problem under water and being physically and mentaly able to carry it out.

mike_s:
Can someone explain DIR to me in one paragraph or less?

Not wanting this discussion to get all drawn out on the
exact way of doing things, but wanting to know the idea
behind DIR and the benifits of it.

-Mike

The safety and effeciency of the team is the number one priority.

jonnythan:
A very specific set of gear and skills, created mostly by George Irvine and Jarrod Jablonski of the WKPP (a big cave diving project in Florida),

[..snip...]

They didn't really create any of it, they just packaged it. All of it is really theft from other sources and then rigidly guarding it so that crap that'll get cave divers killed doesn't creep into it.

A lot of cave and tech divers believe that if you're doing this stuff, you need to be prepared to have your close friends dying on you. George and JJ don't buy that, and everything follows from there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom