Can KIWIS swim??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ling: It's nice to see that someone here knows what I was talking about, and it's equally nice to get a rise to my taunt. But don't become too attached to the pickle dish. She's on her way home! If we could keep the fat man out of the way, we'd be in much better shape. But my home boys are down there now and we'll give y'all a run for the money.

Seriously, best of luck to all!

:poking:

heh....the fat man's probably the best chance u have of wrestling the mug away NZ.

He might be fat, but he's still the MAN!!!!!!! He's held in high regards over here in nz.
:)

G'day all,

Sorry to join the queue, but I'm heading to the UK this year too, and was wondering the same question. But ... having done my course in Dunedin, I don't think the vis/temp could be much different!

I've heard there's good dive spots in Wales, but other than that and Scapa Flow, I know nothing about UK diving. Help!

Secondly, wherever the Cup may end up, at least it'll be a kiwi skipper.

dave

Hi Guys,

The Auld Mug staying in NZ is like the Ashes staying in Australia (he he he - that should get the ball rolling!!!) and England winning the Rugby WC - can't see it as they only just beat NZ's B team this year and after avoiding us for awhile - but then again 5 wins in 97 years, you were due one!!!

Right, UK diving - you will only need cold water regs if you plan to dive in the middle of winter in lakes or go to places like Iceland. Def bring a drysuit if you are planning on getting into teaching or want to go to places like Scapa Flow. If you want to travel in summer to the Red Sea etc then a shorty or 3mm steamer will be OK.

Summer diving in the UK is a bit like spring/autum diving in NZ. If you learnt in Dunedin then the conditions will be similar in the sea to there but if you go to the inland lakes they are freshwater and can be cold and dark! Remember plan the dive, dive the plan as one lake has taken a few lives despite diving being banned from it!!

Enjoy the packing - also some airlines let you bring dive gear for free - same as if you were taking golf clubs, bike or surfboards but you have to check in advance.

Enjoy the UK diving - it is worth it!!

Thanks Dougz,

I don't have a drysuit - only a 7mm, but with polyprops and woolly socks on as well, it's been ok in Dunedin in winter. For short dives that is! A hot flask of Milo helps too.

Dive sites: other than Scapa, what are the recommended sites/areas around the UK? Not really interested in the lakes, just coastal etc. I'll probably be in either London or Bristol I think.

Cheers,
dave

For UK diving I would recommend a drysuit - but try it out and see how you go. Depends on what your comfort level is!

As for places - anywhere on the coast is usually good. Cornwall has excellant diving. And if you are in Bristol then you are close to Wales and it is good there as well.

One thing to remember is that this country is really old with hundreds of wrecks so if your a wreck head you will be in heaven!!

Hey everyone,

I just came back from Sipadan last month, and even though the season wasn't at its best, it was the most memorable dive I ever went for. I've also just finished my updated article, and have gotten Borneo Divers to publish it for me on their website since they really liked it.
If you're interested to read, drop by to http://www.borneodiverskl.com - My article is on top under "Recent Trip to Sipadan".

Regards,
Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom