Can I vent a little?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I understand that after being there and doing that...it most likely will become an actual job. :wacko:

However, given my current situation....I would tend to take ScubaScott's mindframe....call it young and stupid..whatever, but Mike's view of saving money and retiring early doesn't really appeal to me. I don't want to be in my 40's/50's thinking about up and moving....and doing it then....I'll most likely have a family and that just makes it harder.

However, if I do something about this sooner than later, I can surely come away with great experiences and memories and come back home if I want too. 20-30 or even 10 years from now, I dont want to look back and say....boy I wish I would have.............................................

Hmm, the hamster steps up onto the wheel and begins to walk....

jepuskar once bubbled...
20-30 or even 10 years from now, I dont want to look back and say....boy I wish I would have.............................................

you're certainly right about that.

WW

norcaldiver once bubbled...
I hear ya. Northern California is supposed to be super laid back.

Wrong, everyone is completely oblivious to the fact that there are other people here. Grocery store, freeway, doesn't matter - I'm going to just stop in the middle and block everyone around me because I'm the only one that matters.
Lol, and people say midwesterners are uptight.

Just spent a 10 days between Vegas and Palm Desert, dodging "LA people." Eye contact? ..... whats that? These people are like drones, whose only function is to get from point a to point b, regardless of what is in their way.

Jeps, sounds like a change of locale to something less urban might help. Lots of opportunities for IT types in more rural areas which are not necessarily tropical.

Listen to some of the older people on this, there is no magical, perfect job situation for anyone, in most cases. Personally, i love parts of my job and hate other parts of it. It's just the way it is, for most people.

Years later, i know more people who regret taking that fantasy job, than feel it was a good move. Problem is, you'll never know, unless you try. One of lifes nice little "catch-22's."

....I started a business and have never been happier.

The abridged version of the story....diving for two weeks in Bonaire a couple of years ago and dreading going back to the drudgery that was my life (desk job, ahole employer, etc etc.) Decided fairly succintly that my life at home sucked and that there had to be much more to it than what I had. I took the short amount of time that I had (basically the time I wasn't in the water), and laid out a basic business idea/plan. I gave notice to quit my job literally the day I returned from the trip.

Okay, I'll tell you this right now....that was probably not the best idea, but at the time I felt it was all I had and that if I didn't do it right away coming off my vacation high, I'd lose the nerve. The first year was a huge struggle financially, but despite that somehow I was still much much happier and healthier.....and that's all that mattered. I'm happy to say that my business is doing well, I just returned this morning from nine days in the Arizona sun attending a business conference (okay the conference was only half of that time), and I'm headed to Mexico next week on business again.

My point is, I do what I want, when I want. Sure I work twice as hard as when I worked for someone else. I play twice as hard as well! :wink:

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Life is short, live it up!

I started this thread to help me vent, you know, get your thoughts in writing kind of thing.

Its nice to see some different viewpoints, especially the ones that see it my way. :D

Ideally, I would love to have a normal job in the IT industry located in a tropical place. Jake Richter, the owner of bonairetalk.com, lives on Bonaire and owns his own IT company....the only one on the island I believe. Now that is frickin cool....he walks out in his backyard to a dive sight....

Ohh well, for now I'll just save the money and see what happens!

Jep, go for it. Quit your job and move south for a few years! I'm 37 and have been working since I was 18 (part time student during some of that time) and always stared at the world map thinking "why am I not out there?" Anyway I was very lucky and was able to land a job overseas, a month at work followed by a month at home. Kind of like the best of both worlds, since I am married and we have bills, mortgage, car, kid, blah blah blah... moving south wasn't an option. However, even though I had the best situation available for me and my wife, it would have been better if we were in a situation where we had no bills or commitments, we could spent my off time doing what we wanted to: travel. So from this point of view I say "go south young man and have fun."

*However*

Mike's comments are valid, work is work, just get used to it. Suck it up, make some money, invest and retire early. This is what I am planning, I now only have 3 years left to pay on the house, we have diversified investments (I didn't say prosperous), rental properties and will be able to retire in about 4 -5 years to a sailboat and cruise where we want and when we want. Not bad, I'll only be in my early 40's. We won't have a lot of money - well actually we won't really have any money to live off of, but we will be doing it on our terms!

In fact my daughter has been dividing her weekly allowance as such: $1.00 for Mexico (first few years of the world tour will be in Mexico), $2.00 for education, $1.00 for long term and the last dollar is for short term. She just turned 6.

Maybe we'll see you in the Caribbean in 5 years or maybe you will just be setting sail when we are heading back to port in about 20 years?

I'm not sure what is stopping me...fear, failure, money, etc.

I have it pretty cushy right now...live with my parents, awesome girlfriend, minimal bills, good paying job, blah blah blah.

I could save up for a year longer and go live in the Caribbean for a year and see what happens from there. Maybe that will be the little taste I will need to decide if I stay or go.

This quarry crap aint gonna cut it this year....I'm going to do my Rescue Cert up here, but I think all my other certifications are going to be done someplace warm! SCREW THIS!!

jepuskar once bubbled...
I'm not sure what is stopping me...fear, failure, money, etc.
I have it pretty cushy right now...live with my parents, awesome girlfriend, minimal bills, good paying job, blah blah blah./B]

Geez dude....your 26 and still living with your parents.No wonder your miserable.Get out on your own and explore life.:D

double ouch :whack:

Actually, I don't mind at all!

I get along with them and plus the free rent allows me to dive more. :)

They stay out of my business and plus I get to dive more.

I can come and go as I please and plus I get to dive more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom