Can I pick up Doubles by the manifold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just wondering if picking up my double tanks by the manifold is bad for it. Is there any other easy way? The valves are larger and it's hard to hold it like a normal tank.
J

i have heard that it's not good to pick up the tanks by the manifold, so
i don't do it

i grab the valves on either side, and it works for me

Jorbar1551:
Just wondering if picking up my double tanks by the manifold is bad for it. Is there any other easy way? The valves are larger and it's hard to hold it like a normal tank.
J

Don't pick em up by the manifold. The manifold is brass, soft and you can bend it.

Couple ways to do it. Short moves, grab them by the knobs. Turn one hand "around" so you are always turning the valve off. Longer trips, one hand on a valve, the other on the base of the other tank. Real long trips I use a hand truck :wink:

Tobin

Can you? Yes
Should you? No - puts too much load on the crossbar connections. I've only seen one case where a set sprung a leak from it, but one's one too many.
Rick

Jorbar1551:
J

I certainly wouldn't. I would lift by the valves. A bent cross bar is a bad thing. Very bad.

cool_hardware52:
Don't pick em up by the manifold.

Couple ways to do it. Short moves, grab them by the knobs. Turn one hand "around" so you are always turning the valve off. Longer trips, one hand on a valve, the other on the base of the other tank. Real long trips I use a hand truck :wink:

I have always heard the same thing about not picking them up by the manifold thus carrying them by the knobs.

The one hand on valve one on base of tank has always been somewhat awkward for me -- so for longer trips -- I will throw a BP on and carry them on my back -- or wrap my arms around them -- essentially *hugging* the tanks - and carry them that way.

For real long trips find a boy -- erm I mean hand truck or cart of some sort as well to get them to their destination. :wink:

TekDiveGirl:
For real long trips find a boy -- erm I mean hand truck or cart of some sort as well to get them to their destination. :wink:

oh oh oh!! pick me!! pick me!!

I lift mine by the crossbar :11: , but as close to the valves as possible. I think that most of the weight goes to the valve. So far, no leaks from the crossbar- everything else is leaking though. :D

Jorbar1551:
J

I straddle my fingers across the valve portion so that two fingers of each hand are on the knobs and two are on the cross member. I've tried the tree (tank) hugger approach and it just seems a little, well, dangerous - they're high up on my body and I don't feel like I have a secure grip on them that way.

Atticus:
I straddle my fingers across the valve portion so that two fingers of each hand are on the knobs and two are on the cross member. I've tried the tree (tank) hugger approach and it just seems a little, well, dangerous - they're high up on my body and I don't feel like I have a secure grip on them that way.

If your tank boots were made from recycled bus tires, you might get a better grip on them. Have you considered switching to a hemp wing? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom