Can I move things around on my 1st stage or will I die?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The bore size of HP and LP port is different so there is no mix up.

Nice! I did not know this, since I have never taken one off myself. This is the kind of forward thinking that keeps humanity progressing. Even the USB people figured it out eventually.

Thanks everyone for your knowledge and wisdom. I will let you all know how it went when I get back from my next trip. If I don't return, well just know you all have blood on your hands. Thanks again!

Straightly on 1st stage only.
The bore size of HP and LP port is different so there is no mix up.
Transmitter goes to HP port.
Some 1st stage has only 1 HP port so it is not possible to swap around.

That right on newer regs ... and you probably will not run across it...

But some vintage stuff uses 3/8 NF on the high pressure hose.
And goofy 1/2 NF on some LP hoses...
Just something to pay attention too.

Just don't overtighten. An o-ring keeps the air in, not the threads. You want it just tight enough that it doesn't unscrew itself. Hand tight plus a 1/16 of a turn with the wrench is about right.

You will die .... eventually, probably sometime within the next 120 years.

However you can also move stuff around on the first stage. High-pressure and low-pressure ports are different sizes on modern regs, so there's no major risk to putting the wrong thing in the wrong port. You may occasionally also find ports "weird" sizes, but for the most part the sizes are fairly standard. While you're at it, you can also do things like remove regulators from the end of low-pressure hoses, replace SPGs and more.

It's not rocket science, however the main thing to keep in mind is tighten it just enough so that you could not loosen it with your hand alone. Too tight, and you could damage equipment, so don't use large amounts of force. Too loose, and you might develop a leak or have it come loose while diving.

That right on newer regs ... and you probably will not run across it...

But some vintage stuff uses 3/8 NF on the high pressure hose.
And goofy 1/2 NF on some LP hoses...
Just something to pay attention too.
The 1/2" LP port on Apeks. Still have two 20+ yr old 1st stages with that stupid 1//2" LP port.
Those are all history.

The 1/2" LP port on Apeks. Still have two 20+ yr old 1st stages with that stupid 1//2" LP port.
Those are all history.
Several of my regs have that 1/2" LP port, which was annoying when I didn't have any spare 1/2 plugs & wanted to install flex-hoses.

The Mares 22 first stage, which is still used in the Navy II, and some of its derivatives like the 32 have one 1/2" LP port too. There are also three standard LP ports you can use if you don't have an adapter or the correct hose.

Before you replace the hose on to the port in the 1st stage, it’s good to inspect the o-ring, put a light coat of silicon grease over the o-ring and clean the groove where the O-ring would sit on.

Just don't overtighten. An o-ring keeps the air in, not the threads. You want it just tight enough that it doesn't unscrew itself. Hand tight plus a 1/16 of a turn with the wrench is about right.

I eventually got a crowfoot for my torque wrench just so I could see what "40 in-lbs" (as is commonly specified for hoses) is really like, and lo and behold, it's about "hand tight plus 1/16th of a turn with the wrench."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom