Can I fill tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am definitely not in any position to buy/handle equipment for filling tanks. I was just wondering if I am able to maybe own my own air tanks and take them into a facility to have them refilled.
Thanks again all!

Fill out your profile a little more thoroughly. People will have a better gauge as how to respond, as said earlier by JBres1. Do you own your own gear? Where do you dive/live? :confused:

I have a couple of friends that have their own compressor set-ups in their garages, they do O2, also, for nitrox fills. However, they didn't do their set-ups until they respectively had 400+ dives. Also, one is a mechanic and the other an engineer. They both did a lot of research. One is trying to design a trimix stick to use in his garage. It works well for me, because I get free fills from them often! :D

Start with buying your own tanks, get them filled by professionals who have the training. Make sure they fit the type of diving you want to do. I have two tanks with which I regularly dive. They fit my type of diving (recreational) and my SAC rate (the rate of which I breath). I can usually get at least an hour of bottom time, depending on my depth. They are steel, so I don't wear as much weight on my belt. I do wish I had gotten low pressure tanks, instead of high pressure ones, because I don't get very good fills on most boats. Know that it is VERY easy to sell used tanks, so if your style of diving changes, you will not be "stuck" with them.

Ask questions and learn as much as you can. There really are no dumb questions, just a few jerks who answer too quickly with smart [alecky] comments. :lotsalove: I used to work at a SCUBA shop. I was trained to fill tanks and inspect them. It is not rocket science, but there are things you need to be aware of for safety.

Get into a club that dives a lot, spend time on here reading and use the search tool. A lot of questions have been discussed pretty thoroughly here, so research and ask for clarification. Be clear with your question so everyone knows the answer for which you are looking.

Last, have fun with this most awesome of sports! Don't be afraid to try things, just always be safety conscious.

Happy Diving! :kiss2:

Are you certified yet?

That was going to be my question (and should have been the 1st question in the 1st answering post). Any beginnig open water diver should know they can buy their own tanks. I'd find it odd if the OP's LDS didn't try to sell him/her everything in the store, starting with tanks :).

Thanks all for answering my question. I think I have what I need to start planning my purchases and researching more. I will say that I'm terrible about filling out profiles, but I will try to get to it. Cheers!

Having your own tanks is handy. However, it is NOT cost effective. You can rent tanks, including the air, for very little more than the cost of a fill.

One nice feature about owning tanks is that you know exactly how to deal with their buoyancy. Once you get set up, you won't need to change every time you rent a different type of tank.

Not that it matters but you can assume an aluminum tank will last about 20 years and a steel tank about 50 years. But the steel tank will cost more than twice as much as an aluminum tank.

Of course, with the aluminum tank you will need to carry more lead.

So, yes, I do own my own tanks. I have enough for our small herd of 4 divers plus a couple of spares.

Richard

Having your own tanks is handy. However, it is NOT cost effective. You can rent tanks, including the air, for very little more than the cost of a fill.

One nice feature about owning tanks is that you know exactly how to deal with their buoyancy. Once you get set up, you won't need to change every time you rent a different type of tank.

Not that it matters but you can assume an aluminum tank will last about 20 years and a steel tank about 50 years. But the steel tank will cost more than twice as much as an aluminum tank.

Of course, with the aluminum tank you will need to carry more lead.

So, yes, I do own my own tanks. I have enough for our small herd of 4 divers plus a couple of spares.

Richard

The life of a steel tank is indefinite, Taken proper care one will last several lifetimes.

The life of a steel tank is indefinite, Taken proper care one will last several lifetimes.

Very likely! Especially the LP variety. I'm not sure about the HP tanks. I don't know if they have enough history to say much one way or the other.

There are plenty of examples of very old LP tanks.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom